Author Topic: Where U.S. troops are stationed in the Middle East  (Read 229 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Where U.S. troops are stationed in the Middle East
« on: October 31, 2023, 01:45:51 pm »
Where U.S. troops are stationed in the Middle East

Jacob Knutson

With the Israel-Hamas war escalating, the United States risks becoming involved in a larger conflict that could entangle some of the more than 40,000 U.S. military personnel based across the region.

Why it matters: U.S. troops and military contractors in Iraq and Syria have been targeted in over a dozen attacks by Iranian-backed militia groups since Hamas' surprise attack against Israeli civilians and soldiers on Oct. 7.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has warned of the "prospect of a significant escalation of attacks on our troops and our people throughout the region."

Between the lines: The attacks, as well as a wider war, could reverse efforts in recent years to reduce the U.S. presence in the Middle East as part of a strategic pivot to toward the Pacific.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/31/american-troops-middle-east-israel-palestine
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson