Author Topic: Dems Press Mayorkas, Garland to Relax Immigration Bonds  (Read 202 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Dems Press Mayorkas, Garland to Relax Immigration Bonds
« on: October 31, 2023, 01:17:01 pm »
Dems Press Mayorkas, Garland to Relax Immigration Bonds

'Immigration bonds can be hundreds of thousands of dollars, imposing huge costs that families are unable to afford,' wrote a group of congressional Democrats
Published 10/31/23 07:58 AM ET|Updated 1 hr ago
Alec Dent

Agroup of Democrats have demanded President Joe Biden end immigration bonds "which the defendant cannot meet" in a letter sent to administration officials Monday.

"ICE may subject an individual to mandatory detention if there is ‘a reason to believe’ that the person has been involved in trafficking in controlled substances, even if the individual was never convicted of such a crime," wrote Sens. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., and Alejandro Padilla, D-Calif., and Reps. Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., and Pramila Jayapal ,D-Wash. in their letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

"Immigration bonds can be hundreds of thousands of dollars, imposing huge costs that families are unable to afford. By contrast, the federal Bail Reform Act forbids the imposition of financial conditions which the defendant cannot meet," the group continued.

Noncitizens are currently required to show they are not a flight risk to avoid detainment.

The letter was first reported by The Hill.

https://themessenger.com/politics/dems-press-mayorkas-garland-to-relax-immigration-bonds
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Dems Press Mayorkas, Garland to Relax Immigration Bonds
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2023, 01:20:16 pm »
They can just heap larger taxes on Americans who can't afford them to pay for the bonds illegals can't afford, to make up for the lost revenue. 22222frying pan
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson