Author Topic: China fetes American veterans of World War II known as ‘Flying Tigers’  (Read 234 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
China fetes American veterans of World War II known as ‘Flying Tigers’
By Ken Moritsugu, The Associated Press
 Oct 30, 09:44 AM

BEIJING (AP) — China on Monday feted two American veterans of World War II as Washington and Beijing look to past collaboration for inspiration on improving today’s strained ties.

Mel McMullen, who is in his late 90s, and Harry Moyer, who turned 103 on Monday, are among the few surviving members of a U.S. Army Air Force command that helped China battle Japan and became popularly known as the Flying Tigers.

Their visit is the latest in a small but expanding series of exchanges ahead of a possible meeting between Presidents Joe Biden and Xi Jinping next month, as the United States and China try to repair a relationship that has deteriorated sharply over differences on trade, technology, security and human rights.

McMullen recounted how Chinese farmers saved the lives of downed American pilots, hiding them by day and moving them from village to village by night, despite the risk of severe punishment by the Japanese.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2023/10/30/china-fetes-american-veterans-of-world-war-ii-known-as-flying-tigers/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson