Author Topic: Military Service Members and Election Officials Blast ‘Voter Intimidation’ by Private Groups  (Read 232 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military Service Members and Election Officials Blast ‘Voter Intimidation’ by Private Groups
A Navy Captain demands answers for what he calls an effort to 'interdict my right to vote'
Published 10/25/23 02:16 PM ET|Updated 10/25/23 03:06 PM ET
James LaPorta

U.S. Navy Capt. Mehdi Akacem received a letter in August telling him he was in violation of Washington state law for living at a residence that didn’t match the address on his voter registration. Akacem is stationed at Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Maryland, but maintains a residence in Washington state and votes in the state's elections by absentee ballot.

The official-looking correspondence was sent to him by certified mail from the Washington Voter Research Project, which describes itself as a “non-partisan and non-profit organization working to ensure accuracy of our voter rolls.”

The group’s letter stated that it was challenging Akacem’s voting status based on the group’s “research.”

“Washington law under RCW 29A.04.151 defines your residence as the address where you reside and maintain your abode,” the letter stated. It noted Akacem’s given address on his voter registration and said, “this is not where you currently reside. Please update your voter registration immediately.”

https://themessenger.com/news/military-service-members-and-election-officials-blast-voter-intimidation-by-private-groups
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
For being honest, their careers are over. ****slapping
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson