Author Topic: Democrats make Speaker Mike Johnson their new 2024 boogeyman  (Read 652 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats make Speaker Mike Johnson their new 2024 boogeyman
« on: October 29, 2023, 01:29:42 pm »
 Democrats make Speaker Mike Johnson their new 2024 boogeyman
by Julia Manchester - 10/29/23 6:00 AM ET

Democrats are seeking to make new Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) a boogeyman going into next year’s general election, citing his conservative voting record in the House.

Following Johnson’s election Wednesday, President Biden’s reelection campaign blasted out a fundraising email, calling Johnson “a Trump lackey.” Meanwhile, the House Democratic campaign arm sent messaging guidance, referring to Johnson as “Jim Jordan in a sports coat.”

Even in Virginia, the state Democratic party warned that Johnson’s election makes the state’s Legislature elections next month “more important.”

The party is betting Johnson’s ardent support of former President Trump and record on issues like same-sex marriage, abortion and overturning the 2020 election results will backfire on swing and independent voters.

“MAGA Mike certainly gives us the necessary tools to put in our toolbox to be able to build a case,” said Antjuan Seawright, a Democratic strategist.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4279889-mike-johnson-2024-democrats-election-denier-abortion/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Democrats make Speaker Mike Johnson their new 2024 boogeyman
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 01:32:49 pm »
I personally hope they stick with that right through election day!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 01:56:34 pm »
MAGA/Mega MAGA = Demspeak for "Nazi".

It is pure accusation and propaganda of the ad hominem variety, practiced by experts at the craft of demonizing the opposition in order to avoid fact-based arguments and discussion.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 02:06:29 pm »

It is pure accusation and propaganda of the ad hominem variety, practiced by experts at the craft of demonizing the opposition in order to avoid fact-based arguments and discussion.

:yowsa: and I doubt the voting public is as stupid as they think.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 03:36:49 pm »
Everyone here take note of this.  They NEVER did this with McCarthy.  They NEVER did this with Ryan.  They NEVER did this with McConnell.  Thank you, Matt Gaetz.  G-d bless Speaker Johnson.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline LMAO

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 03:50:02 pm »

True

But it has worked for the Democrats, electorally speaking
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 08:51:12 pm »
I personally hope they stick with that right through election day!

Obviously won't work in some districts, but likely will be effective in swing districts against moderate Republicans.

:yowsa: and I doubt the voting public is as stupid as they think.

Have you seen some of the people in Congress?  And the guy in the White House??
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 08:53:11 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 08:51:47 pm »
Everyone here take note of this.  They NEVER did this with McCarthy.  They NEVER did this with Ryan.  They NEVER did this with McConnell.  Thank you, Matt Gaetz.  G-d bless Speaker Johnson.

Why is that a positive?

I'm not saying he was wrong to say any any of it at the time, especially given the district he was from.  It's just that given his new, much higher profile position, statements that helped him as a Representative of a red district might hurt others in blue or purple districts.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 09:38:07 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 08:53:24 pm »
Obviously won't work in some districts, but likely will be effective in swing districts against moderate Republicans.

Never can tell... Look what's happened to erstwhile purple Florida...

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 09:09:41 pm »
Never can tell... Look what's happened to erstwhile purple Florida...

Yes...but that was with a GOP candidate who was very disciplined in what he says, and never gave his opponents easy sound bites.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 09:27:48 pm »
Yes...but that was with a GOP candidate who was very disciplined in what he says, and never gave his opponents easy sound bites.

Still... A true conservative won Dade County. That's a thing.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2023, 10:23:37 pm »
Target,
Meet... flak.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 10:49:37 pm »
Why is that a positive?

Gee, I don't know.  Maybe it's because I don't want a Republican Speaker who gives the Democrats everything they want?  I'm just funny that way.  Clearly, the Democrats are not comfortable with Johnson as Speaker.  Yet they were perfectly comfortable with McCarthy and his continuing resolution, which basically gave them the same spending levels they got with Pelosi. 

So basically, if Democrats are saying all kinds of bad things against Johnson while not saying anything bad against McCarthy, it tells me that Democrats prefer McCarthy over Johnson.  And it tells me that Johnson is the better choice if I want to stop Democrat policies from being funded.  Is that really so difficult for you to understand?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-