Author Topic: Fort Gordon renamed Eisenhower, last of 9 bases scrubbed of Civil War names  (Read 373 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Fort Gordon renamed Eisenhower, last of 9 bases scrubbed of Civil War names

The home of the Army's Cyber Command and Signal Corps changed its name from that of a Confederate general to the former president and World War II supreme commander.

BY MATT WHITE | PUBLISHED OCT 27, 2023 5:42 PM EDT

Fort Gordon was renamed Fort Eisenhower on October 27, the last of nine Army bases to replace the name of a Confederate officer. Army photo.

The current Secretary of the Army arrived at Friday’s ceremony in a vintage World War II jeep, a throwback image that fit the moment of renaming an Army base dedicated to modern high-tech warfare after a general synonymous with wars of the last century.   

Fort Gordon, home of the Army’s Cyber Command, Signal Corps and both the Cyber and Signal schools, is now Fort Eisenhower, a namesake of the former president and supreme commander of allied forces during the decisive years of World War II.

Eisenhower’s new base commander, Major Gen. Paul T. Stanton, noted in a brief speech that the ceremony was being held on the same parade ground where Eisenhower gave a final address to troops as he neared the end of his presidency.

“Gen. Eisenhower, sir, we are on the same field where it thrills our hearts to fulfill your legacy,” said Stanton. “To reuse your 1952 campaign slogan, ‘it’s time for a change.’ And here on Fort Eisenhower, ‘we like Ike.’”

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/fort-gordon-eisenhower/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'll bet most Americans, unless they have studied the Civil War, wouldn't have known those bases were named after southern generals if the military hadn't raised the issue. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'll bet most Americans, unless they have studied the Civil War, wouldn't have known those bases were named after southern generals if the military hadn't raised the issue. **nononono*
Precisely.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Our military is so stuck on stupid I'm amazed they manage to consistently reach their recruiting goals.

Oh wait!   :pondering:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Idiot

Fort Gordon renamed Eisenhower, last of 9 bases scrubbed of Civil War names

The home of the Army's Cyber Command and Signal Corps changed its name from that of a Confederate general to the former president and World War II supreme commander.

BY MATT WHITE | PUBLISHED OCT 27, 2023 5:42 PM EDT

Fort Gordon was renamed Fort Eisenhower on October 27, the last of nine Army bases to replace the name of a Confederate officer. Army photo.

The current Secretary of the Army arrived at Friday’s ceremony in a vintage World War II jeep, a throwback image that fit the moment of renaming an Army base dedicated to modern high-tech warfare after a general synonymous with wars of the last century.   

Fort Gordon, home of the Army’s Cyber Command, Signal Corps and both the Cyber and Signal schools, is now Fort Eisenhower, a namesake of the former president and supreme commander of allied forces during the decisive years of World War II.

Eisenhower’s new base commander, Major Gen. Paul T. Stanton, noted in a brief speech that the ceremony was being held on the same parade ground where Eisenhower gave a final address to troops as he neared the end of his presidency.

“Gen. Eisenhower, sir, we are on the same field where it thrills our hearts to fulfill your legacy,” said Stanton. “To reuse your 1952 campaign slogan, ‘it’s time for a change.’ And here on Fort Eisenhower, ‘we like Ike.’”

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/fort-gordon-eisenhower/
:thud:

Offline mountaineer

Whew! Now that they've renamed the bases and melted down the Gen. Lee statue, the Civil War never happened. What a relief!!

As noted on the thread about Gen. Lee:

"Everything faded into mist. The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth."
-- 1984, George Orwell
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
:thud:

“Gen. Eisenhower, sir, we are on the same field where it thrills our hearts to fulfill your legacy,” said Stanton. “To reuse your 1952 campaign slogan, ‘it’s time for a change.’ And here on Fort Eisenhower, ‘we like Ike."

I have sleepless nights thinking we are going to get into a major conflict.  Woke shit will be our death.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

The fact that  Miley and Lee are American Generals is the only common theme worth mentioning.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The fact that  Miley and Lee are American Generals is the only common theme worth mentioning.

At least Lee was dedicated to Virginia, or "my country" as he referred to it, which is more than "Thoroughly Woke Milley" can claim.
Thomas Jefferson