Author Topic: Sen. Mike Lee, other GOP senators propose a standalone bill for Israel aid, without Ukraine funding  (Read 309 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yahoo by Gitanjali Poonia 10/26/2023

A group of Republican senators introduced a bill Thursday that would decouple funding for Israel from billions of additional dollars the White House requested for Ukraine.

The Israel Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2023 was introduced by Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Sen. J.D. Vance of Ohio and Sen. Roger Marshall of Kansas.

“Ukraine and Israel are distinct, important issues, and Congress should have the opportunity to consider and vote on prospective aid packages individually,” Lee said in a press release.

“If the Biden administration’s case for additional Ukraine aid is not strong enough to stand on its own, then packaging them is an insulting request to lay before Congress. It is unreasonable for the administration to exploit an aid package for Israel to siphon off billions of taxpayer dollars in yet another blank check for Ukraine,” he said.

What is in the Israel Supplemental Appropriations Act?

The proposed bill would give Israel $14.3 billion in aid, close to what the White House asked for, which includes $10.6 billion in assistance through the Department of Defense to strengthen the Iron Dome and Iron Beam and $3.5 billion for military financing.

It also earmarks $200 million to support U.S. embassies, while stripping all aid to Gaza.

More: https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-mike-lee-other-gop-224449358.html

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I support aid to Ukraine, but this is the right thing to do.  Both deserve individual votes.

Hmm.  Begs an interesting question.  Suppose the Democrats agree to have separate votes for aid to Israel and Ukraine, but as a tradeoff, demand that the Ukraine aid bill gets a floor vote in the House.  Should the House GOP agree, or should the Hastert Rule prevail?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 08:52:54 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yahoo by Gitanjali Poonia 10/26/2023

A group of Republican senators introduced a bill Thursday that would decouple funding for Israel from billions of additional dollars the White House requested for Ukraine.

“Ukraine and Israel are distinct, important issues, and Congress should have the opportunity to consider and vote on prospective aid packages individually,” Lee said in a press release.

@Elderberry

I couldn't agree more,but I WOULD love to see the end of "riders" attached to important bills that everybody KNOWS will be approved.

I would also LOVE to see this sort of thing become SOP for ANY  spending bills.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!