Author Topic: Viral ‘9 to 5’ Video Is A Plea For A Meaningful Life, Not An Excuse For Laziness.. Jordan Boyd  (Read 461 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Viral ‘9 to 5’ Video Is A Plea For A Meaningful Life, Not An Excuse For Laziness
By: Jordan Boyd
October 27, 2023

https://twitter.com/libsoftiktok/status/1717193628194680895

A young woman’s lament about the “four-hour life” that she found herself living post-grad went viral earlier this week when Libs of TikTok posted it with the caption “Recent college grad has breakdown over working a job. We’re doomed.”

“I’m probably just being so dramatic and annoying. But this is my first job, like my first nine-to-five job after college and I’m in person and I’m commuting in the city and it takes me f-cking forever to get there,” the woman begins.

She wishes she could simply walk to work but says she can’t “afford living in the city right now.” Instead, the young adult is stuck commuting on a train that leaves well before work begins and arrives after suppertime.

By the time she gets home for the day, the young woman says she’s too exhausted to do anything but “shower, eat my dinner, and go to sleep.”

“I know it could be worse. I know I could be working longer,” the woman continued. “But, like, I literally get off, it’s pitch black. Like I don’t have energy. How do you have friends? Like how do you have time to, like, meet a guy? I don’t know, like, how do you have time for like, dating? I don’t have time for anything and I’m like so stressed out and I’m also getting my period so that’s why I’m all emotional.”

more
https://thefederalist.com/2023/10/27/viral-9-to-5-video-is-a-plea-for-a-meaningful-life-not-an-excuse-for-laziness/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

9 to 5?  She's lucky to have such a regular work schedule.

I'm salaried ... every hour over 40 is free ... I work late nights, weekends, and holidays ... without warning, my plans and schedule can be shot to Hell by an unplanned incident at work, or the lack of planning by a VIP ... I used to have to commute 90 minutes each way (before accidents, snow, construction, public transporation SNAFU), so my daily rountrip commute was 3 hours minimum ... the longest day I ever worked was 32 hours (in the office without going home or taking a nap) ... if you want to earn more than minimum wage and get benefits, you have to suffer, make sacrifices, and hope the stress doesn't kill you before you're elligible for reitirement.

Welcome to the working Middle Class, honey.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline berdie

That is, like, the saddest story I ever read. :crying: *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Eight hours? only Five days a week?

She'd never have cut it in the oil patch.  **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Eight hours? only Five days a week?

She'd never have cut it in the oil patch.  **nononono*

That's what I was thinking... I don't think I've ever worked only 8 hrs in a day in my whole life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I mean that's city life. Nobody did jack on the weekdays. I worked in the commodity markets in Chicago. Up at 4 am to hope the L and be to work by 6a, get off at 4 be home by 5. Eat, watch a little tube, go to bed by 9.

Weekends were different. Friday was the little night out, pizza or something quick and small, couple of beers. Saturday the big night out, clubbing, bar hopping, restaurant whatever.

Sunday was church and/or day of rest, hang out in the park, roller blade, hang out at the beach.

It was grueling at first, but you got used to it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That's what I was thinking... I don't think I've ever worked only 8 hrs in a day in my whole life.
We aren't even talking about something like farming or ranching...especially ranching, those critters need you 24/7/365.

**nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis