Author Topic: $400 for one pineapple: The rise of luxury fruit  (Read 356 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
$400 for one pineapple: The rise of luxury fruit
« on: May 20, 2024, 06:53:48 pm »

CNN Business
By Danielle Wiener-Bronner
May 19, 2024

Imagine you have $400 to spend on a luxury dining experience. You might treat yourself to a tin of premium caviar, a bottle or two of very fine wine or a multi-course meal at a high-end restaurant.

Or you could blow it all on a single pineapple.

The Rubyglow pineapple –— bred for its distinctive red exterior and its sweetness — costs $395.99 at Melissa’s Produce, a California-based seller of specialty fruit and veggies. It took Del Monte, a wholesaler which sells a variety of produce but specializes in pineapple, a decade and a half to develop the red-hued fruit. A limited crop was first available in China early this year. Recently, Del Monte decided to see how the item would fare in the United States, and Melissa’s starting selling it at the astronomical price.

(more)
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/19/business/pineapple-rubyglow-price/index.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: $400 for one pineapple: The rise of luxury fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 09:55:57 pm »
A fool and his money...

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 10:01:08 pm »
CNN Business
By Danielle Wiener-Bronner
May 19, 2024

Imagine you have $400 to spend on a luxury dining experience. You might treat yourself to a tin of premium caviar, a bottle or two of very fine wine or a multi-course meal at a high-end restaurant.

Or you could blow it all on a single pineapple.

The Rubyglow pineapple –— bred for its distinctive red exterior and its sweetness — costs $395.99 at Melissa’s Produce, a California-based seller of specialty fruit and veggies. It took Del Monte, a wholesaler which sells a variety of produce but specializes in pineapple, a decade and a half to develop the red-hued fruit. A limited crop was first available in China early this year. Recently, Del Monte decided to see how the item would fare in the United States, and Melissa’s starting selling it at the astronomical price.

(more)
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/19/business/pineapple-rubyglow-price/index.html

I don't know if it was classified as a 'Rubyglow' pineapple, but Farmer Joe's had pink pineapple awhile ago -- not nearly the cost.  I didn't try any (they were giving out samples) -- pink pinapple???  I passed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 10:03:36 pm »
Is the pink from the inserted mRNA?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 10:16:15 pm »
The $400 dollar pineapple is not a new thing. In the Victorian era, in Europe and globally, fruit was in fact a symbol of status. In Victorian times, to have an eatable pineapple or bananas on your table was mind-blowing for your guests.

Those guys hosting guests paid enormous money for the privilege.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2024, 10:23:22 pm »
Is the pink from the inserted mRNA?
Nah .... that's extra and in a different pineapple altogether.  :whistle:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2024, 11:00:53 pm »
They just did that so it would blend in better on the pizza! Fiends!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2024, 11:15:27 pm »
:facepalm2:

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2024, 11:17:08 pm »
They just did that so it would blend in better on the pizza! Fiends!

888high58888 :laugh:

Online LMAO

« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:20:04 am »
People pay top dollar to eat fish eggs and fungus

Why not a pink pineapple?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:50:05 am »
People pay top dollar to eat fish eggs and fungus

Why not a pink pineapple?

Yeah. The trick is to capitalize on the next culinary gimmick.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis