Author Topic: Jet-Powered JDAM Aims To Turn Bombs Into Cruise Missiles  (Read 355 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Jet-Powered JDAM Aims To Turn Bombs Into Cruise Missiles
« on: October 25, 2023, 04:00:53 pm »
Jet-Powered JDAM Aims To Turn Bombs Into Cruise Missiles
Powered JDAMs could attack targets on land and sea, deploy naval mines, or even act as decoys, over long ranges.

BY
JOSEPH TREVITHICK
|
PUBLISHED OCT 24, 2023 4:06 PM EDT
Boeing is continuing to develop a powered derivative of the Joint Direct Attack Munition, which turns standard 500-pound-class bombs into cruise missiles.

For the second time in as many weeks, Boeing has made an announcement related, at least in part, to the ongoing development of a powered derivative of the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) precision-guided bomb family. The company is pitching the Powered Joint Direct Attack Munition (PJDAM) as a flexible and lower-cost cruise missile that can be used to attack targets on land and ones at sea. It could help countries, including the United States, readily boost their stockpiles of stand-off munitions.

Boeing announced earlier today that it had signed a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Australia's Ferra Engineering regarding the continued production of pop-out wing kits for the unpowered JDAM Extended Range (JDAM-ER) series. The company said that this deal would also include an "intent to explore applications" for the PJDAM. As currently designed, the PJDAM uses the same wing kit as the JDAM-ER.

A mock-up of the Powered JDAM with its pop-out wings in the deployed position. Joseph Trevithick
This follows an announcement last week about another MOU between Boeing and Technical Directions, Inc. (TDI) regarding the 200-pound-thrust-class TDI-J85 turbine engine as a propulsion option for PJDAM. TDI is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/jet-powered-jdam-aims-to-turn-bombs-into-cruise-missiles
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Jet-Powered JDAM Aims To Turn Bombs Into Cruise Missiles
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 05:27:27 pm »
Are they like the JATO Chevy Impala?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Jet-Powered JDAM Aims To Turn Bombs Into Cruise Missiles
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 09:22:01 am »
Are they like the JATO Chevy Impala?
More like an air-launched buzz bomb with a better guidance system.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis