Author Topic: NYC mayor puts $12 billion cost on migrant crisis, blames ‘broken’ national immigration system  (Read 224 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC mayor puts $12 billion cost on migrant crisis, blames ‘broken’ national immigration system

“The immigration system in this nation is broken; it has been broken for decades,” Adams said, declaring: “Today, New York City has been left to pick up the pieces.”

Eric Adams flanked by officials looks to his left from a dais with microphone.
The mayor pleaded with the federal government to provide more help for the newcomers. | Bebeto Matthews/AP Photo

By EMILY NGO

08/09/2023 01:16 PM EDT

Updated: 08/09/2023 01:48 PM EDT

NEW YORK — Mayor Eric Adams on Wednesday sharpened his appeal for state and federal aid by presenting steep new cost projections for the tens of thousands of migrants in New York City’s care.

“If we don’t get the support we need, New Yorkers could be left with a $12 billion bill,” he said in a formal address to the public from City Hall.

The $12 billion is the estimate by summer of 2025 if the flow of migrants continues apace with current numbers, Adams said. Administration officials had previously forecast that the cost would reach more than $4 billion by next summer. The new estimation of $4 billion annually for three years, is a significant portion of the city’s budget that is currently $107 billion. By comparison, the NYPD’s annual budget this year is $5.8 billion.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/eric-adams-new-york-migrants-cost-00110472
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NY incentivized the hungry, the needy, the poor to come there for the welfare.  Let them eat the cost, not me. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson