Author Topic: Smart > Dumb.... Kurt Schlichter  (Read 669 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Smart > Dumb.... Kurt Schlichter
« on: October 23, 2023, 02:35:30 pm »
Smart > Dumb
Kurt Schlichter

The sad truth is that some people in our party are stupid. Statistically, that is inevitable since the parties are about evenly split. When you have 50% of the population, you’re going to have a certain percentage of the idiots. Well, the Republican Party is undoubtedly statistically within the band of normal, because we sure have our share of nitwits. And I’m tired of them.

Look at the House of Representatives. However, some people aren’t willing to accept the reality. For a number of reasons, including stupid choices by our voters and dumb actions by party leaders and politicians, we have a mere five-seat majority in the House. We should’ve had a huge majority in the House, considering the historical trends and the political climate in 2022. Still, being the Stupid Party, the Republicans were stupid and only got five seats above even. It is what it is.

But some people in our party are too dumb to understand that it is what it is. They think it is what it isn’t. They think that because they believe really, really hard in their version of conservatism, their version of conservatism should prevail, even though their version of conservatism is not what the majority of the House believes. Keep in mind I share their beliefs. Their version of conservatism is my version of conservatism. I would love our version of conservatism to be ascendant. I’ve worked for that for nearly 40 years. But right now, it’s not going to be, in large part, because of our own party’s failures. But some in our party don’t seem to understand that. They’re very mad that a minority of the House – Democrats plus RINOs – outvote conservatives. As a result, we conservatives cannot simply impose our will. Apparently, they didn’t watch Schoolhouse Rock. Apparently, they didn’t learn how to count. Apparently, they think that because they’re really, really, really upset, their upsetness matters more than reality.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2023/10/23/smart-dumb-n2630171
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Re: Smart > Dumb.... Kurt Schlichter
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 02:36:55 pm »
Spot on.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 03:41:20 pm »
It would help if the dingbats undertsood basic math ...

Dems + RINOS = majority

Otherwise, Jim Jordan would be Speaker already.

If they don't know the meaning of 'majority', they don't deserve to be in the majority.

... They’re very mad that a minority of the House – Democrats plus RINOs – outvote conservatives. ...
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 04:38:31 pm »
Their version of conservatism is my version of conservatism. I would love our version of conservatism to be ascendant. I’ve worked for that for nearly 40 years. But right now, it’s not going to be, in large part, because of our own party’s failures. But some in our party don’t seem to understand that. They’re very mad that a minority of the House – Democrats plus RINOs – outvote conservatives. As a result, we conservatives cannot simply impose our will. Apparently, they didn’t watch Schoolhouse Rock. Apparently, they didn’t learn how to count. Apparently, they think that because they’re really, really, really upset, their upsetness matters more than reality.

Nailed it.

It's the delusion of moral vanity.  A lot of those conservatives truly believed that they were more committed to their beliefs than others are committed to theirs, and so the others would just crumble if the conservatives held out for long enough.  Matt Rosendale, one of the eight who voted to sink McCarthy, said that openly.  And they were absolutely shocked and outraged to learn that they were wrong.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 06:41:12 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 04:43:13 pm »
It would help if the dingbats undertsood basic math ...

Dems + RINOS = majority

Otherwise, Jim Jordan would be Speaker already.

If it truly was "Dems + RINOS", Jeffries would be Speaker already.  He isn't.

The RINOS prefer to vote for a GOP Speaker.  That's been proven because they've already done that multiple times in this Congress.  What they are not willing to do is let a small minority of hardline conservatives flout the will of the majority by booting a Speaker supported by 210 other Republicans, and then refusing to support the next guy, Scalise, when he won the run-off with Jordan.  If conservatives can veto any Speaker candidate they deem insufficiently conservative, no matter how many in the rest of the caucus support him, then they've abandoned that majoritarian principle, and can't then selectively apply it only when the third guy up meets with their approval.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 06:18:01 pm »
Nailed it.

It's the delusion of moral vanity.  A lot of those conservatives truly believed that they were more committed to their beliefs than others are committed to theirs, and so the others would just crumble if the conservatives held out for long enough.  Matt Rosendale, one of the eight who voted to sink McCarthy, said that openly.  And they were absolutely shocked and outraged to learn that they were wrong.

Do you even have ONE freaking ounce of self-awareness, @Maj. Bill Martin ??

It's like Schlicter was talking about both @roamer_1 and yourself...and the first words you type..."NAILED IT!"

:beer:   *****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 06:43:29 pm »

It's like Schlicter was talking about both @roamer_1 and yourself...and the first words you type..."NAILED IT!"

If you think Schlichter is on the side of the hardliners who ditched McCarthy, you need to reread that article.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 07:08:47 pm »
If you think Schlichter is on the side of the hardliners who ditched McCarthy, you need to reread that article.

But some people in our party are too dumb to understand that it is what it is. They think it is what it isn’t. They think that because they believe really, really hard in their version of conservatism, their version of conservatism should prevail, even though their version of conservatism is not what the majority of the House believes. Keep in mind I share their beliefs. Their version of conservatism is my version of conservatism. I would love our version of conservatism to be ascendant. I’ve worked for that for nearly 40 years. But right now, it’s not going to be, ...

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 07:21:11 pm »

Wow.  Well, this explains a lot.

You guys have succeeded in convincing me we are utterly and completely screwed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 07:38:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 07:21:44 pm »
A problem with using fear and intimidation to coerce members to vote for Jim Jordan ... when a person chooses not to fear, Jordan's side has lost it's only tool of persuasion.

30% - 40% of GOP base being MAGA, still does not equal 51%.

The Founders architected our Federal System of Government to force compromise, from far-left and far-right towards the middle, among Members of Congress.

If a member of Congress is consumed by his absolutist views that he, and only he, can be right, I recommend he build a tree house fort he can rule over absolutely.  He will not get what he wants in Congress.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 07:37:10 pm »
A problem with using fear and intimidation to coerce members to vote for Jim Jordan ... when a person chooses not to fear, Jordan's side has lost it's only tool of persuasion.

In negotiating lingo, Gaetz and Co. "shot the hostage".   They had one piece of leverage with which to threaten the other side, but rather than keeping it, they used it up.

They now have none.  That's always a bad move, usually born out of emotion or some other unstated motive other than trying to get the best deal possible.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:02:06 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 08:09:37 pm »

You misread me @DCPatriot . I don't give a shit whether you align with me or not. I only defend Conservatism by its definition. There are no versions. What has been adopted and adapted was long, long ago. It doesn't change, nor does it need to change - Especially in the case of politics, for the cause of politics.

Politics is not the end game. Philosophy is the end game. Conservatism as it touches politics is only functioning to ensure the ability to practice the philosophy. That is what it is *for*. Your concept does not do that. Nor does your movement. Ergo, I stand against it. Necessarily.

And in that, because it is not Conservatism. It is really the same ol rah-rah Republican-ism with an orange face. You can have it. It doesn't interest me at all.

And in the end, anything else does not matter, because Conservatism is a compilation of 'what works' across the vast years of all history. If you are not standing in Conservatism, your philosophy will fail, with every guarantee.

FAFO. I don't care. Just don't call it conservatism, and don't expect me to follow...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 08:11:17 pm by roamer_1 »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 09:02:53 pm »
You misread me @DCPatriot . I don't give a shit whether you align with me or not. I only defend Conservatism by its definition. There are no versions. What has been adopted and adapted was long, long ago. It doesn't change, nor does it need to change - Especially in the case of politics, for the cause of politics.

Politics is not the end game. Philosophy is the end game. Conservatism as it touches politics is only functioning to ensure the ability to practice the philosophy. That is what it is *for*. Your concept does not do that. Nor does your movement. Ergo, I stand against it. Necessarily.

And in that, because it is not Conservatism. It is really the same ol rah-rah Republican-ism with an orange face. You can have it. It doesn't interest me at all.

And in the end, anything else does not matter, because Conservatism is a compilation of 'what works' across the vast years of all history. If you are not standing in Conservatism, your philosophy will fail, with every guarantee.

FAFO. I don't care. Just don't call it conservatism, and don't expect me to follow...

And YOU misread me, @roamer_1  ...

But some people in our party are too dumb to understand that it is what it is. They think it is what it isn’t.

They think that because they believe really, really hard in their version of conservatism, their version of conservatism should prevail, even though their version of conservatism is not what the majority of the House [or the country] believes.

Keep in mind I share their beliefs. Their version of conservatism is my version of conservatism. I would love our version of conservatism to be ascendant. I’ve worked for that for nearly 40 years. But right now, it’s not going to be,...

How much plainer can it be put, for you, huh?    :shrug:  You won't admit it and first thing you do is not partake in the election...or throw away your 'principle' bullshit ballot because "Tumpy" spends too much money.

Forget that the opposing party looking for power are outright Fascists who want us all dead.

**nononono*    You're messed up, pal.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 10:05:54 pm »
And YOU misread me, @roamer_1  ...

How much plainer can it be put, for you, huh?    :shrug:  You won't admit it and first thing you do is not partake in the election...or throw away your 'principle' bullshit ballot because "Tumpy" spends too much money.

Forget that the opposing party looking for power are outright Fascists who want us all dead.

**nononono*    You're messed up, pal.

No... Your big government is no damn different than theirs @DCPatriot . It's the same damn government. The very same thing. Tumpy's spending and attacks against liberty just gave big government MORE fuel and MORE control.

You think austerity is about money. It's not.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 10:06:43 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2023, 11:12:01 pm »
"They think that because they believe really, really hard in their version of conservatism, their version of conservatism should prevail, even though their version of conservatism is not what the majority of the House [or the country] believes.

You are completely misreading Schlichter's argument.  His point is that in the context of this Speaker's election,  a minority attempt to dictate to the majority will fail because it is a raw numbers game.  You either have the votes or you don't.  And trying to force others to vote your way based on threats won't work.

People like @roamer_1 and I are not trying to impose our choice on anyone else.  We are under no illusion that our refusal to vote for Trump is somehow going to force others to nominate a different Republican.   We also realize that in the big picture, our lonely little non-votes won't make any difference.