Author Topic: GOP lawmaker urges Republicans to sign unity pledge to back eventual Speaker nominee  (Read 342 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 GOP lawmaker urges Republicans to sign unity pledge to back eventual Speaker nominee
by Nick Robertson - 10/21/23 9:00 PM ET

Rep. Mike Flood (R-Neb.) is urging his caucus to vote together as chaos over the House Speakership continues, launching a unity pledge for lawmakers to commit to a single candidate.

The House has been without a Speaker for nearly three weeks after nominees, Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), failed to secure enough support to win election to replace former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), after he was ousted from the top spot earlier this month.

Flood’s simple, two-paragraph pledge states that the signing member promises to vote for the eventual GOP-designated nominee, no matter who it is.

“The Unity Pledge is a new effort to help our conference put our differences aside and come together,” Flood said on X, formerly Twitter. “I’m urging all my colleagues to join this pledge so we can move forward with electing a Speaker and get on with the people’s business.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4268966-gop-unity-pledge-house-speaker-nominee/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nice idea, but everyone won't agree because some would still want to "veto" any candidates that they don't like.

While then insisting that everyone is required to support their preferred nominee.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 04:50:26 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline bilo

It would be better to let the public know who the 100 Establishment Loyalists are that voted on a secret ballot for Jordan to withdraw, but on the House Floor voted for him.

Lets end the backroom deals.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
It would be better to let the public know who the 100 Establishment Loyalists are that voted on a secret ballot for Jordan to withdraw, but on the House Floor voted for him.

Lets end the backroom deals.

Not sure what the big deal is there.  Those people weren't opposed to Jordan.  They were just against continuing to hold votes that were going nowhere.  If Jordan wasn't going to be able to get the votes, why keep voting and just prolonging the time until you could actually seat a Speaker?

It wasn't an anti-Jordan vote.  It was an anti-wasting time vote.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 04:51:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Those turkeys would piss on your leg a claim. It was raining loyalty smoyalty.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.