Author Topic: The fate of Army Special Operations Forces  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The fate of Army Special Operations Forces
« on: October 21, 2023, 03:22:54 pm »
The fate of Army Special Operations Forces
America’s next combat operation is likely to prove irregular, but the Army is looking to make cuts to its lead force for that mission.
By Todd South
 Tuesday, Oct 10

Members of multiple special operations units with allies and partners from 18 nations in the Ridge Runner Irregular Warfare Exercise 23-01, held throughout West Virginia, from May 27 to June 17, 2023. (Staff Sgt. Jake SeaWolf/Army)
They didn’t arrive under the cover of darkness, parachuting in from thousands of feet above, nor did they slip into a remote beach cove on a rubber boat.

The teams of special operations soldiers and Marines stood in line, handed over their passports and waited respectfully while airport security patted them down and scrutinized their government forms.

The more than a dozen men didn’t wear uniforms, but their civilian clothes, military haircuts and posture were a giveaway.

And that was all part of the plan.

These special operators — Green Berets from 5th Battalion, 19th Special Forces Group; an Army psychological operations unit; and the Marine Corps Reserve 4th Civil Affairs Group — weren’t looking for a cloak-and-dagger operation. The members of this task force came to meet with local officials in Morgantown, West Virginia, otherwise known in this fictional military exercise scenario as the proud nation of Kanawhaton.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/10/10/army-special-operations-irregular-warfare-and-the-next-fight/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson