Author Topic: SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES » UNITED STATES AIR FORCE SPECIAL OPERATIONS » AIRCRAFT »  (Read 172 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SPECIAL OPERATIONS FORCES » UNITED STATES AIR FORCE SPECIAL OPERATIONS » AIRCRAFT » AC-130W STINGER II

AC-130W Stinger II
The AC-130W Stinger II, previously known as the MC-130W Dragon Spear, is a gunship that is created by applying a roll-on, roll-off Precision Strike Package to existing MC-130W Combat Spear aircraft. The resulting AC-130W Stinger IIs are operated by the Air Force 73rd Special Operations Squadron out of Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico.

The Stinger II program is designed to augment the aging AC-130 gunship flee in lieu of a lapsed AC-130J project. Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) plans to eventually convert its entire fleet of AC-130W Combat Spears into Stinger IIs.

AC-130W Stinger II

AC-130W Stinger II - Role
The AC-130W role is similar to the AC-130H Spectre / AC-130U Spooky U gunships, also operated by AFSOC, albeit with less emphasis on direct strike missions. The AC-130W Stinger II platform is geared more towards its primary role of armed overwatch as well as reconnaissance and close air support. The aircraft also has a limited cargo transport role. The AC-130W fleet is meant to augment the Spooky and Spectres, not replace them.

https://www.americanspecialops.com/usaf-special-operations/aircraft/mc-130w-dragon-spear/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson