Author Topic: What Passes For A "Demonstration Project" Among Our Government Geniuses  (Read 143 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What Passes For A "Demonstration Project" Among Our Government Geniuses
October 19, 2023/ Francis Menton

A couple of days ago, a Substack called Doomberg had a piece titled “False Utopia.”  The piece featured a discussion of a post of mine from February 2023 with the title “We Must Demand A Demonstration Project Of A Mainly Renewables-Based Electrical Grid.”  My post argued that we should demand a demonstration project of a mainly renewables-based electrical grid that would include all the key elements — generation mainly from solar and wind, plus sufficient back-up or storage to make the whole thing work for the long term without involvement of the evil fossil fuels, plus any other necessary elements to make the whole thing work.

The Doomberg guys called my post “brilliant,” which is very flattering.  I would not say it was brilliant, but only that it says obvious things that for some reason few other people are saying.  Among the people who will definitely not mention the need for an all-element fossil-fuel-free renewable grid demonstration project are government officials and green energy advocates.  The reasons they won’t mention this need could be (1) they are not bright enough to understand the subject, or (2) their understanding is impaired because they are too blinded by religious fervor to “save the planet,” or (3) they are intentionally deceiving the public to make money or fame or career advancement for themselves.  Or it could be all three!

Meanwhile though, the government “net zero” or “Green New Deal” (or whatever they are currently called) promotional sites are full of talk of things they call demonstration projects.  So are they responding to my demand?  The opposite.  All of what they call demonstration projects follow a common approach, which is only to attempt to demonstrate various portions of the full system that would be needed to provide reliable 24/7/365 electricity from predominantly wind and solar generation.

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2023-10-18-what-passes-for-a-demonstration-project-among-our-government-geniuses
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson