Author Topic: Why the Republicans can't just get along  (Read 313 times)

Offline corbe

Why the Republicans can't just get along
« on: October 20, 2023, 03:19:29 pm »
Why the Republicans can't just get along

by Peter Spiliakos
October 20, 2023 09:05 AM

House Republicans’ inability to agree on a speaker has been blamed on the convergence of several factors: a narrow majority, the presence of some members who might very charitably be described as eccentrics, and the Freedom Caucus, which bills itself as more-principled-than-the-rest conservatives. But the leadership void is also being caused by the fact that the Republican Party has trouble deciding what it wants. And that is because the party’s ideology no longer produces conviction, even as members of Congress compete to claim the mantle of conservative purity.

It may sound counterintuitive to lament a lack of ideology in today’s GOP, but consider the Democrats. Rep. Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) last speakership coincided with a bare Democratic majority as well. The party had 222 seats. And Pelosi had to deal with her own radicals, the "Squad," along with a bigger group of left-wing members called the Congressional Progressive Caucus. But Pelosi didn’t face a bizarre coup. That wasn’t because the Squad lacked for ideology or ill temper. It was because, at this moment, Democrats have more in common than Republicans do, and Democrats have a stronger belief in their agenda than do Republicans. That makes it easier for Republican politicians to put television hits above the good of the party and the country.

One way to understand the differences between the two parties is that the Democrats have a linear ideological spectrum on more policy, meaning it’s easier to discern the policy aims and thus craft a path to a compromise.

Take healthcare. Some centrist Democrats want to mandate private health insurers cover more procedures and to increase Medicaid coverage for low-income people. Other, more radical Democrats want to ban private health insurance altogether and force everyone onto a government single-payer insurance system.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/why-republicans-cannot-get-along
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

Re: Why the Republicans can't just get along
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 03:26:18 pm »
The republican party is very divided. You’ve got the Establishment wing, the MAGA wing, and the conservative wing. MAGAs won’t vote for the conservatives. The conservatives won’t vote for the MAGA. And neither one will vote for the Mitch McConnell’s or the Mitt Romney’s.

The republican party is probably gonna be in the electoral wilderness for awhile.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 03:29:50 pm »
When you got turncoats and traitors willing to hike to the Rat side any time they don't get their way, you aren't going to be able to get along.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 06:05:02 pm »
The republican party is very divided. You’ve got the Establishment wing, the MAGA wing, and the conservative wing. MAGAs won’t vote for the conservatives. The conservatives won’t vote for the MAGA. And neither one will vote for the Mitch McConnell’s or the Mitt Romney’s.

The republican party is probably gonna be in the electoral wilderness for awhile.

:yowsa:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 10:23:19 pm »
LMAO:
"The republican party is probably gonna be in the electoral wilderness for awhile."

Perhaps for good.
See this short post I put up yesterday:
https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,515446.msg2923861.html#msg2923861