Author Topic: Rep. Eric Swalwell to testify in Trump 14th Amendment disqualification trial  (Read 813 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rep. Eric Swalwell to testify in Trump 14th Amendment disqualification trial
by Ella Lee - 10/30/23 10:58 AM ET

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) is expected to testify in a Colorado trial aiming to determine whether former President Trump is eligible to be on the state’s 2024 ballot under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.”

A lawyer for Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), which brought the case, said Monday that Swalwell will explain “how the mob” that attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, “disrupted the core constitutional process of a peaceful transfer of power.”

Swalwell has said he was among the last lawmakers to leave the House floor during the Capitol attack.

“I thought it was one of the safest places, one of the most heavily fortified places in the world,” Swalwell told the San Francisco Chronicle in January 2021. “That’s one of the most unsettling things about the day. It is such a sacred, symbolic and fortified space. I am still in disbelief.”

The lawsuit, filed in September by CREW and six Colorado voters, suggests Section 3 of the 14th Amendment disqualifies Trump from holding office again. The amendment says anyone who took an oath to support the Constitution but then “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against it cannot hold office.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4283254-rep-eric-swalwell-to-testify-in-trump-14th-amendment-disqualification-trial/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
CO SecState Griswold: ‘Real Questions’ if the Constitution Disqualifies Trump from Presidency

Pam Key 30 Oct 2023

Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold (D) Monday on CNN’s”News Central” that there were “real questions” about whether the Constitution disqualified former President Donald Trump from running for president or being seated in the office.

Anchor John Berman said, “In Denver, court proceedings under way and you are are looking at live picture right now to see if section 3 of the 14th Amendment should keep Donald Trump off of the presidential ballot. Let me read it, ‘No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.'”

Griswold said, “Yes, that is right. With this court case, we are hoping that it is giving guidance to ballots across the nation. We have never had this type of situation occur where a sitting president incites the insurrection and then had the audacity to run again. So there are real questions of Section 3 of the 14th Amendment disqualifies him. I am looking forward to the judge giving guidance on the topic.”

She continued, “I will follow whatever court determination is in place by the time I certify the ballot. I do believe that Donald Trump incited the insurrection.”

Griswold added, “So did his actions rise to the level of disqualification, and who gets to determine that? Is it me, The court? Would it bar him from ballot access or just being seated in office if he was disqualified? There is disagreement, and this is why it is appropriate for the court to weigh in right now.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/10/30/co-secstate-griswold-real-questions-if-the-constitution-disqualifies-trump-from-presidency/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
??? He has not been convicted of inciting a resurrection. 

:bkmk:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
??? He has not been convicted of inciting a resurrection. 

:bkmk:
What criminal charges has he been convicted of? None that I know of.

Has he even been charged with insurrection?

If Trump gets charged, what about Ray Epps, on video urging people to enter the Capitol?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Swalwell has said he was among the last lawmakers to leave the House floor during the Capitol attack.

“I thought it was one of the safest places, one of the most heavily fortified places in the world,” Swalwell told the San Francisco Chronicle in January 2021. “That’s one of the most unsettling things about the day. It is such a sacred, symbolic and fortified space. I am still in disbelief.”

So those hundreds of Hamas protester/insurrectionists that invaded the heavily fortified place last week were invited guests?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
So those hundreds of Hamas protester/insurrectionists that invaded the heavily fortified place last week were invited guests?

If they fit into Brandon's agenda, then yes they were invited.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
"With this court case, we are hoping that it is giving guidance to ballots across the nation."

Okay, I know that's not really why they're doing it, but it would be damn helpful for a federal appellate court to step in at some point and address this.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fishrrman almost-kinda-fearless prediction:

Colorado IS going to become the first state to remove Mr. Trump's name from the ballot.

...Thus also becoming the first state to hold a "presidential plebiscite" in 2024, instead of an actual presidential election...

Offline mountaineer

Sneak preview of Swalwell's testimony:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Mr Fang Fang is going to testify?

What a mockery of jurisprudence. **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Sneak preview of Swalwell's testimony:

His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.
Well-played.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Fishrrman almost-kinda-fearless prediction:

Colorado IS going to become the first state to remove Mr. Trump's name from the ballot.

Here's my prediction - if they try, it won't last.  It'll be reversed by a higher federal court.