Author Topic: Border Policy, Housing, Water, and Farms  (Read 177 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Border Policy, Housing, Water, and Farms
« on: October 20, 2023, 03:52:21 pm »
Border Policy, Housing, Water, and Farms

PUBLISHED:  Thu, OCT 19th 2023 @ 5:14 pm EDT  by  Jeremy Beck

Given immigration's recent and projected contributions to U.S. population growth, immigration policy is an important factor that drives up housing prices and rents. According to a study published by the Urban Institute's Housing Matters Initiative, immigration causes a significant increase in home prices and rents in the metropolitan areas where migrants settle, and an even bigger increase in surrounding areas.

A surge in illegal immigration is worsening America's existing housing crisis, and is costing state and local governments (i.e., taxpayers) millions. Communities simply do not have enough affordable homes, enough shelter, or enough tax money to help everyone who needs it. Out of desperation, towns and cities have tried everything from paying for hotel rooms to converting school gymnasiums and giant tents into temporary shelters, along with support services. For example, tax-funded hotel stays can include three meals a day, weekly housekeeping, and toiletries.

Immigration at this level negatively affects the working-class more dramatically than higher income people because all workers with lower incomes are more likely to rent their homes. New York City is spending $383 per family per night on the migrant crisis, while proposing cuts to social services for vulnerable New Yorkers.

https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/border-policy-housing-water-and-farms
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson