Author Topic: Nearly 70% of active-duty military members are overweight; obesity rate double what it was a decade  (Read 186 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Nearly 70% of active-duty military members are overweight; obesity rate double what it was a decade ago
NEWS
ANDREW CHAPADOSOctober 16, 2023

Defense Department data showed that 68% of active-duty military members are overweight or obese, with numbers even skyrocketing regarding eating disorders in the last decade, a nonprofit found.

The report, commissioned by the American Security Project, found that over one-third of service members are in the overweight or obese categories. This was listed as the leading disqualifier for military applicants, as well as being the primary reason for injuries during service or medical discharges.

The obesity category has more than doubled in the previous decade, as well. In 2012, the rate was 10.4%, but it jumped to 21.6% for 2022.

Calculations are compiled using the standard body mass index, which tends to underestimate obesity when compared to more advanced systems, the Military Times reported. The study suggested that the those with a high BMI need to be passed on to doctors who specifically treat obesity.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/service-members-obese-or-overweight
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I suppose its unwoke for the military to tell anyone they're a fat*ss! :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson