Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12718 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I don't mind them taking the weekend off. The truth is they'll be need to be a lot of behind the scenes conversations, meetings, and phone calls to put together candidates and support.  I personally prefer to see the various factions within the party coalesce around three or four candidates at most rather than have a dozen or more so all running.

It also would be a nice time to get a commitment from every member that they'll all agree to support any candidate who actually gets a majority within the caucus.  If they want to specifically exclude McCarthy, Scalise, and Jordan from that, that's fine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 08:14:04 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
We, the people are done with the GOP wing of the Uniparty.  Need a hint?   As of today, Trump's closest GOP reivals are in the single digits at 8 percent,  51 points behind him.
What do you mean, WE?

This all started under your guy's watch.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Kamaji

Well that's sorta bullcrap. Scalise and Jordan are both favored sons, both uniters, both considered even-handed.

Granted, Scalise, as a moderate, would probably be considered as having an upper hand, but not by much. And I am on the record here as expecting Scalise, and satisfied with that, though no doubt I would prefer Jordan.

Nope.  It's not bullcrap at all.  It's the truth.  Scalise was the preferred nominee of the GOP as a whole; Jordan was not.  It was only after Scalise' departure from the nomination was extorted by the same sort of childish threats Gaetz and Co. made that Jordan became the next one up to the plate, and by that time, the rest of the GOP conference had had more than enough of the spoilt child tactics of Gaetz & Co., and opted to not support Jordan.  Too bad, so sad; play with fire and you can't complain when you get burned.

Gaetz f*cked this thing six ways to Sunday, without a viable exit plan, and so has almost single-handedly most likely handed the House to the democrats in 2024.  Congratulations; Mr. "Conservative" has ended up simply enabling the progressives and their control of the House.  I hope his check from the DNC is big enough to make it worth the while for having f*cked the country.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

First Black Speaker of the House and a conservative.  Win! Win!

Agreed.

Offline berdie

I really like Jim Jordan and am sorry he is a part if this. Be it willingly or unwillingly.

The question that enters my mind is why would anybody want to be speaker? Small majority, warring factions, d@mned if you do d@amned if you don't.

Somebody refresh my memory, but wasn't there a similar situation prior to Ryan. Wasn't he more or less forced into the position?

Offline corbe

Kevin McCarthy endorses Tom Emmer for House Speaker
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

First Black Speaker of the House and a conservative.  Win! Win!

IMHO, He's too close to Trump.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

Joey Mannarino

@JoeyMannarinoUS
Byron Donalds is officially running for Speaker.

Let's make history, America.

It will be history all right.  Republicans haven't elected a Conservative Speaker in over 100 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

2nd vote for Jordan a congresscritter wanted John Boehner back   :shrug:

Admit the House been in Disarray since Sen Cruz got into that pizzing contest with the aforementioned fellow.  This is a battle that has to be done, there is no other Time.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

It will be history all right.  Republicans haven't elected a Conservative Speaker in over 100 years.
Newt?

Offline libertybele

I'm not familiar with his ties to Trump. I do know him to vote conservatively.  Here is his voting record:

https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/137655/byron-donalds

Byron Donalds "On the Issues" -- he is categorized as a "hard core" conservative.

https://www.ontheissues.org/FL/Byron_Donalds.htm

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

He's also inexperienced, and as a member of the Freedom Caucus likely will get some of the overflow resentment toward Gaetz.  I do think the experience point is relevant because the job of the Speaker is largely procedural, and Donalds hasn't even chaired a committee.

I think someone like Hern, who is a conservative but not a member of the Freedom Caucus, is probably the best shot.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:39:11 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

In comparison on the same issues as Byron Donalds, Emmer is a "moderate conservative".  Does that surprise anyone since McCarthy endorsed him??

https://www.ontheissues.org/house/tom_emmer.htm

Offline libertybele

He's also inexperienced, and as a member of the Freedom Caucus likely will get some of the overflow resentment toward Gaetz.  I do think the experience point is relevant because The job of the speaker is largely procedural, and Donald's hasn't even chaired a committee.

I think someone like Hern, who is a conservative but not a member of the Freedom Caucus, is probably the best shot.

I thought about him being a new kid on the block, but he's done very well for FL. I've been listening to him in comparison to how he votes and so far -- he doesn't waiver or walk back.  He's pretty darn steadfast in his beliefs.

Perhaps we need someone who doesn't have years of experience and tainted by the DC RINO's. :shrug:

Offline corbe

Don't forget about The Hammer.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

In comparison on the same issues as Byron Donalds, Emmer is a "moderate conservative".  Does that surprise anyone since McCarthy endorsed him??

https://www.ontheissues.org/house/tom_emmer.htm

No. Emmert is closer to the middle of the caucus, which honestly should be where the Speaker comes from.

Offline Hoodat

Of course he does.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

No, McCarthy is responsible because he broke almost every promise he made, several of which were within his power to honor.

I am sick of people lying as he did, just to get the votes for Speaker.

THAT'S RIGHT. End of story wrt McCarthy.

Offline libertybele

No. Emmert is closer to the middle of the caucus, which honestly should be where the Speaker comes from.

Frankly, the more conservative, the better. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Playing to the "Moderates" is playing to lose, and is exactly how we got here as a nation.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

In my opinion, the goal should be passing the most conservative legislation possible.  I think the risk with a Speaker that is significantly further to the right than the majority of the caucus is that you are going to risk losing moderate Republicans to the Democrats on key votes.  So while the Speaker personally may stake out a more conservative position, what ends up being passed maybe significantly less conservative than what it might otherwise have been.

Realistically, we are not going to get significantly more conservative results until we elect significantly more conservatives.  In the meantime, we've got to fight the best rear guard action possible.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:51:38 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Benny Johnson
@bennyjohnson

🚨BREAKING: Byron Donalds to announce candidacy for House Speaker

Benny Johnson
@bennyjohnson
Other names in the mix:
-Tom Emmer
-Kevin Hern
-Austin Scott
-Jack Bergman
-Mike Johnson
-Mark Green
-Roger Williams

3:51 PM · Oct 20, 2023

Heritage rates Hern at 98% https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/H001082

Heritage also rates Donalds at 98% https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/d000032

Jack Bergman at 84% https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/b001301

Mike Johnson at 84%  https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/J000299/118

Mark Green at 84%  https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/G000590/118

Tom Emmer comes in at 82% https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/E000294/

Roger Williams at 78% https://heritageaction.com/scorecard/members/w000816?session=115

Those are Heritage Foundation ratings, and only for this session. Specifics are at the links.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

In my opinion, the goal should be passing the most conservative legislation possible.  I think the risk with a Speaker that is significantly further to the right than the majority of the caucus is that you are going to risk losing moderate Republicans to the Democrats on key votes.  So while the Speaker personally may stake out a more conservative position, what ends up being passed maybe significantly less conservative than what it might otherwise have been.

Realistically, we are not going to get significantly more conservative results until we elect significantly more conservatives.  In the meantime, we've got to fight the best rear guard action possible.

I hear what you are saying but in the same light; those that side with DEMS or vote along with them aren't worth their seat and should be voted out.  Not doing so is why we're at the crossroads we have.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
THAT'S RIGHT. End of story wrt McCarthy.

Yep. Hern and Donalds are rated most conservative out of the list (by The Heritage Foundation, for the current session) and maybe need a better look. I'd like to see those ratings compared to other scorecards.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis