Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12391 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Whut?

Jordan's Pitch to House GOP: Let's Pass Another CR!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jim-jordan-plan-avert-shutdown-becomes-house-speaker-rcna120623?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma&taid=652eac010760ad0001588eaa&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Republican House speaker nominee Jim Jordan has pitched his colleagues on an unorthodox plan to prevent a government shutdown on Nov. 17.

And his conference members have mixed feelings about it.

In recent meetings with House Republicans, Jordan, the right-wing firebrand from Ohio, has called for passing a stopgap bill to keep money flowing under existing law beyond April, according to a half-dozen lawmakers who heard his comments. The reason is that an across-the-board 1% cut, as tucked inside a recent debt-limit law, would then take effect, imposing reductions across agencies.

Jordan indicated to Republicans he believes the automatic cuts will give them leverage over Democrats on full-year funding bills as they work to pass individual appropriations bills. The reason, he believes, is that Democrats will want to switch off the automatic cuts as soon as possible and therefore accept more GOP demands.

“That is leverage,” said Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., a member of the hard-right Freedom Caucus. “And I think he’ll get that. And I’ve been against [continuing resolutions]! But we got 31 days. I mean, time’s running out. We got to look forward.”

But other Republicans say it’s a bad idea to pass another continuing resolution, or CR, which represents the sort of short-term funding on autopilot that conservatives — who want the chance to make more spending cuts — typically loathe.

EXCERPT

It's a worse deal than what they had under McCarthy!

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Jim Jordan expected to come up short

There is zero expectation Jordan wins on the first ballot.   There will be several.

Offline Kamaji

House Speaker election live updates: Jim Jordan falls short of 217 votes needed; minority leader Hakeem Jeffries of NY gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200

By Kaydi Pelletier, Samuel Chamberlain, Victor Nava and Josh Christenson
Updated Oct. 17, 2023

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Oh.) fell short of the 217 votes needed to succeed ousted Kevin McCarthy as the next Speaker of the House, on the first ballot Tuesday.

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY.) bested Jordan, drawing 212 votes to Jordan’s 200. There were 20 votes for other candidates.

The night before Tuesday’s vote, several Republican lawmakers emerged from a House GOP conference meeting saying that they won’t vote for Jordan, 59.

Jordan, however, came out of the meeting confident that he will be elected speaker of the House on Tuesday — despite at least six GOP lawmakers still opposed to his nomination and others undecided.

Follow the Post’s live updates for the latest news as representatives cast their votes to elect the next Speaker of the House:

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/10/17/house-speaker-election-live-updates-jim-jordan-takes-vote-to-floor/

Offline libertybele

Too close for comfort. Praying that something becomes favorable for our country.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

Too close for comfort. Praying that something becomes favorable for our country.

Too close for comfort?  Jeffries got more votes than Jordan did.  That's not even close.

Offline andy58-in-nh

If I wanted to see a clown show, I'd go to the circus.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Can this thread be moved here so we don't have a dozen cross conversations on this topic?
https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,515219.0.html

Thanks.

@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 06:20:45 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline libertybele

Too close for comfort?  Jeffries got more votes than Jordan did.  That's not even close.

22222frying pan  I read the headline incorrectly.  God help us.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Why are there Republcians holding out? I thought this was the unpardonable sin? Spoiled brat punks and all that.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Showing yet again that Establishment Republicans would rather have a Democrat in charge than a Conservative.
Let it burn.

Offline libertybele

More than a clown show, this is just a major disaster waiting to happen.  :thud:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Threads merged
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I'm getting to the point that I don't even care anymore...we will lose the house in 2024 anyways.

I have already seen an ad against my Rep Mary Miller about how Repubs don't know how to lead...I am sure they are nation-wide..

Sorry to be a Debbie-downer but this Congress is an embarrassment...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 06:28:14 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

I'm getting to the point that I don't even care anymore...we will lose the house in 2024 anyways.

I have already seen an ad against my Rep Mary Miller about how Repubs don't know how to lead...I am sure they are nation-wide..

That will be the inevitable fallout of Gaetz' cutesy little coup against McCarthy.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

I don't think Joe Schmoe on the street really knows or cares what's going on with the Speaker of the House drama. Those who follow politics closely enough to know and care aren't going to change their vote from R to D (or vice versa) based on this.
 :shrug:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Kamaji

I don't think Joe Schmoe on the street really knows or cares what's going on with the Speaker of the House drama. Those who follow politics closely enough to know and care aren't going to change their vote from R to D (or vice versa) based on this.
 :shrug:

Maybe so, but a lot of people will see the DNC campaign ads showing a dysfunctional GOP that cannot even do something as simple as elect a speaker of the house, which is necessary in order for legislation to go forward, and many of the uncommitted will agree with the DNC that the GOP is simply too dysfunctional to be trusted with the reins of power, and they will vote DNC.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Whut?

Jordan's Pitch to House GOP: Let's Pass Another CR!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jim-jordan-plan-avert-shutdown-becomes-house-speaker-rcna120623?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma&taid=652eac010760ad0001588eaa&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

EXCERPT

It's a worse deal than what they had under McCarthy!

Yup.  Who the Speaker is does not change where the leverage ultimately lies.  The best deal we had, which is now dead and cannot be revived, is the compromise reached by Roy and the Main Street Caucus people for an 8% cut.  But Gaetz and Co. killed it, and what eventually passes will inevitably be worse.

I get angry when our own side does stupid stuff.

I opposed Gaetz's move, and still oppose it, because when you sit down and look objectively at the most likely consequences, they are not good for conservatives.  But they are good for Gaetz's further political ambitions - he's now "a fighter", and for Nancy Mace.  And they're good for the Democrats.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 07:30:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

That will be the inevitable fallout of Gaetz' cutesy little coup against McCarthy.

Even if you assume Gaetz was well-intentioned, which I don't, the road to hell is paved by stupid people thinking they were doing the right thing.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

... just throwing it out there ... What if pissed off non-Maga Republicans vote for Jeffries?

The GOP Sanity Caucus would have greater power in a Dem-GOP coalition / power-sharing than they would in a Jim Jordan House Speakership.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

... just throwing it out there ... What if pissed off non-Maga Republicans vote for Jeffries?

The GOP Sanity Caucus would have greater power in a Dem-GOP coalition / power-sharing than they would in a Jim Jordan House Speakership.

My guess is that before doing that, the moderates would tell other Republicans "we'll support McCarthy or McHenry.  If you refuse, we'll cut a deal with Jeffries."

And then folks will have some decisions to make.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 07:42:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Since they haven't changed the rules yet someone could use the *vacate the chair rule*...maybe Gaetz will do it......./s
Support the USO