Author Topic: Jordan falls short of 217 votes; minority leader Jeffries gets 212 votes to Jordan’s 200  (Read 12347 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
  ↑  ↑  ↑  ↑

THIS is the Establishment we are fighting against.  There is no way in hell I am ever supporting any Republican willing to vote for a Dem as Speaker when Republicans hold the majority.  I know Jim Jordan would never do that.  To hell with them all.

They're not counting on your vote anyway.  In their districts, they're popular.

Offline libertybele

This is my entire point. Everybody's pissy and wants to expel Gaetz from the House for removing McCarthy, but it's ok for these clowns to prevent Jordan from becoming Speaker  and elect a Rat.

Hypocrisy so thick you can slice it like bread.

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

I'm not hyperventilating - I'm taking what some people say at face value.  You know, as if they actually mean what they say.  Novel concept, I know....

So I assume you at least would agree that shutting down the federal government long-term is not a viable strategy.  Right? Because believe it or not, there really are people advocating exactly that. 

Now maybe they're just posturing.  Maybe.  But it really doesn't matter because that rhetoric alone is going to push the moderates into making a deal with someone who isn't telling people they don't have a problem with a long-term shutdown.

I remain convinced of my original statement:

In order to deal efficiently, everything must be on the table... Particularly the downside - The thing that is the whip or chain. And for that reason, shutdown MUST be on the table to avoid the all too common 'too big to fail' mentality. There will never be a balanced budget again without a threatening downside.

For that reason, while I have no particular fondness for Geatz, and while I see the trick as being ham-handed, I cannot be against the premise.

The other obvious aspect - It's been perfectly fine for the Moderates to hold Conservatives hostage with 'gang of eight' strategy, blocking conservative legislation, even in strong conservative conventions... But now the Right, using the very same strategy, sets forth a clamor and a cry.

That also forces me to accept the premise.

And finally, Republican forces that are willing to collude with the Left in order that a Conservative might not ascend is very, very telling... And again, I must align with my fellows.

Offline Kamaji

I remain convinced of my original statement:

In order to deal efficiently, everything must be on the table... Particularly the downside - The thing that is the whip or chain. And for that reason, shutdown MUST be on the table to avoid the all too common 'too big to fail' mentality. There will never be a balanced budget again without a threatening downside.

For that reason, while I have no particular fondness for Geatz, and while I see the trick as being ham-handed, I cannot be against the premise.

The other obvious aspect - It's been perfectly fine for the Moderates to hold Conservatives hostage with 'gang of eight' strategy, blocking conservative legislation, even in strong conservative conventions... But now the Right, using the very same strategy, sets forth a clamor and a cry.

That also forces me to accept the premise.

And finally, Republican forces that are willing to collude with the Left in order that a Conservative might not ascend is very, very telling... And again, I must align with my fellows.

Playing cards one does not have the wherewithal to back up is a fools' errand.  The idiots - yes, they are idiots - playing this game do not have the wherewithal to back up their threats, and as a result, they will inevitably lose, which means that "shutdown" was never a real threat in the first place, simply because, sooner rather than later, the idiots will be shunted aside, their persuasive pull in Congress further stunted, making them even more useless to their constituents as a means of getting things done, and the winners of it all will be the democrats and those less-than-conservative GOPer's y'all claim to hate.

If one is going to grab the tiger's tail, one had damned well better make sure they can hang on for the resulting ride.

Online roamer_1

If one is going to grab the tiger's tail, one had damned well better make sure they can hang on for the resulting ride.

Oh, absolutely. But often the bluff succeeds because the risk in the ante-up is not worth the gain.

I already said it was a ham-handed stunt - Something with more finesse would have been better game-play. But the cards are drawn and the bids have begun, and there is no telling what the river may bring...

We'll have to wait and see.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joey Mannarino
@JoeyMannarinoUS
One by one, Jim Jordan is defeating the establishment lizards who have been in power for far too long and establishing himself as the next Speaker of the House.

Every hour we are hearing about more and more who are just giving in and going to elect Jim to lead the party.

Slay them one by one, Jim. We need you!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Greg Price
@greg_price11
·
3h
Three massive endorsements for @Jim_Jordan
 this morning from GOP members who were holdouts:

- @RepMikeRogersAL

- @RepAnnWagner

- @KenCalvert

Speaker Jordan is inevitable and any Republican who doesn't vote for him tomorrow is actively rooting for Democrats to have power.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Kamaji

Greg Price
@greg_price11
·
3h
Three massive endorsements for @Jim_Jordan
 this morning from GOP members who were holdouts:

- @RepMikeRogersAL

- @RepAnnWagner

- @KenCalvert

Speaker Jordan is inevitable and any Republican who doesn't vote for him tomorrow is actively rooting for Democrats to have power.

The exact same thing could just as easily be said of the spoilt children who refused to vote for Scalise, or who voted - with the democrats - to bring down McCarthy.

We shall see how long this stupidity lasts.

Online roamer_1

The exact same thing could just as easily be said of the spoilt children who refused to vote for Scalise, or who voted - with the democrats - to bring down McCarthy.

We shall see how long this stupidity lasts.

I was happy to see McCarthy go - If you can't keep your word, then you can't make a deal.

But I am out of sorts now, as I fully expected Scalise. That's where it went off the rails for me... And I can hope to be pleasantly surprised. Speaker Jordan is almost an act of God. So unlikely as to be approaching impossible. If it happens, what a coup!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:57:07 pm by roamer_1 »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Well I'm a' losing weight and a' turnin' mighty pale ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House Republicans Rally Behind Jordan for House Speaker

Wendell Husebø16 Oct 20237
5:02

House Republicans rallied behind House Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-OH) on Monday for House Speaker, as at least 132 publicly announced support for the Ohio congressman to claim the gavel.

The number of lawmakers supporting Jordan is likely more than the number who publicly voiced support.

Jordan won the conference nomination on Friday with 124 votes, defeating Rep. Austin Scott (R-GA) in a closed-door internal party vote. He then earned 152 votes on the second ballot when members were asked if they would support him on the House floor.

After the vote, lawmakers broke for the weekend, with little direction of what would occur next. Jordan then earned the support on Monday of former opposition ringleader Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, creating a path for Jordan to obtain the gavel.

Jordan needs a total of 217 votes on the House floor to become Speaker. The Ohio Congressman intends for the House floor to vote on his nomination Tuesday.

“Grassroots America wants Jim Jordan to be the Speaker of the House,” GOP strategist Cliff Maloney told Breitbart News. “Tuesday’s public vote will be a huge opportunity for every Republican member to show that they truly represent WE THE PEOPLE.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/16/house-republicans-rally-behind-jordan-house-speaker/
Support the USO

Offline bilo

I think Jordan would be a good Speaker, but I really don't care who it is if they don't force the Senate to respond to the appropriation bills they've already passed and the rest of them that they will. If that doesn't happen and we end up with never ending CR's, or omnibus bills, nothing will have changed.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
EXCLUSIVE: Conservative Donors Pledge To Withhold Funding From GOP Members Who Vote Against Jim Jordan For Speaker

Henry Rodgers
Chief National Correspondent
October 16, 2023 6:40 PM ET

Conservative donors are pledging to withhold funding from Republican House members who refuse to support House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan for Speaker, the Daily Caller has learned.

As the House is set to vote for a Speaker on Tuesday, there are twelve House Republicans who have refused to say they would support Jordan, putting him short of the necessary 217 votes he would need on the floor. GOP donors are telling the Caller they will be withholding their donations to anyone who does not end up supporting Jordan in the vote.

“Our nation needs a fighter who will stand up for the interests of American citizens, whether Democrat, Republican or Independent. Jim Jordan is a proven commodity we can trust,” Michaelon Wright Olson, who served on the Independent Women’s Forum (IWF) board of trustees and is a big donor to the GOP, told the Caller Monday evening.

Here Are The Twelve GOP Members Who Have Not Committed To Voting For Jordan As Of Monday Night:

Nebraska Rep. Don Bacon
    Florida Rep. Mario Díaz-Balart
    California Rep. Mike Garcia
    Florida Rep. Carlos Gimenez
    Virginia Rep. Jen Kiggans
    New York Rep. Mike Lawler
    Oklahoma Rep. Frank Lucas
    Florida Rep. John Rutherford
    Idaho Rep. Mike Simpson
    Indiana Rep. Victoria Spartz
    Arkansas Rep. Steve Womack
    Colorado Rep. Ken Buck

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/10/16/exclusive-conservative-donors-pledge-withhold-funding-gop-members-vote-jim-jordan-speaker/
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jordan reportedly to face a mystery challenger for speaker in Tuesday floor vote
October 16, 2023 | Terresa Monroe-Hamilton

U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) is struggling to get the 217 votes he needs to win the Speaker of the House position and now a mystery challenger will oppose him in the floor vote on Tuesday.

Republicans who oppose Jordan are vowing to present an unnamed challenger to his bid during the House floor speakership vote on Tuesday, according to two unnamed House Republicans who spoke to Politico.

“While they have not yet nailed down a specific name, they believe the person they ultimately land on will not only be able [to] block Jordan from the speakership, but also give cover to those who want to vote against him. The challenger will certainly take arrows from the far-right flank of the conference, which is pushing hard for Jordan,” Politico noted.

“There will be an alternative for the rational part of the Republican conference,” one unnamed House Republican asserted according to the news outlet.

This will make selecting a speaker even more tense after Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) dropped out of the running because he did not have enough votes. Making things worse is the fact that some Republicans are said to be working with Democrats on shared House governance. All of this comes as the US is watching wars being fought on two fronts in Ukraine and now Israel. A speaker must be selected to move things forward.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/10/16/jordan-reportedly-to-face-a-mystery-challenger-for-speaker-in-tuesday-floor-vote-1404754/
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

Leading moderate who vowed to oppose Jordan flips in major victory for speaker nominee

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, scored a major victory in his quest for the speaker's gavel on Monday.

In a Monday tweet, House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Ala., announced he would be supporting Jordan's speakership bid.

Rogers was a major opponent of Jordan's push for speaker, so his flip is a big win for the Republican speaker nominee.

In fact, Rogers was adamant about not supporting Jordan for speaker, even saying last week that "there was nothing that Jordan could do to get his support as speaker of the House."

That changed Monday when Rogers said he and Jordan spoke twice over the weekend with regard to the vote as well as House GOP priorities...............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/leading-moderate-who-vowed-oppose-jordan-flips-major-victory-speaker-nominee
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

Jordan on Speaker election: I felt good walking into the conference. I feel even better now. We got a few more people we want to talk to listen to and then we'll have a vote tomorrow.

8:30 PM · Oct 16, 2023

Online Hoodat

In fact, Rogers was adamant about not supporting Jordan for speaker, even saying last week that "there was nothing that Jordan could do to get his support as speaker of the House."

That changed Monday when Rogers said he and Jordan spoke twice over the weekend with regard to the vote as well as House GOP priorities...............

That changed Monday once Rogers' constituents got wind that he was going to vote for a Democrat for Speaker.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Thousands Flood Congressional Phone Lines Demanding Jim Jordan for Speaker: “They are Literally Melting the Phone Lines”
by Jim Hᴏft Oct. 16, 2023 10:00 pm

A resurgence of citizen activism is making waves on Capitol Hill. Conservatives across the United States are rallying behind Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) as he vies for the position of Speaker of the House.

Breitbart News reported that conservatives are “melting” phone lines with calls to GOP members of Congress, urging them to put an end to internal divisions and unite behind Jordan.

“I haven’t seen anything like this in years,” one top House GOP aide told Breitbart News. “They are literally melting the phone lines. Some offices’ numbers are permanently busy. Thousands and thousands of people are calling their members of Congress demanding Jordan for Speaker.”

more
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/10/thousands-flood-congressional-phone-lines-demanding-jim-jordan/
Support the USO

Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

Something to note. The House MEETS at noom et. But it once you factor in the quroum call, nominating speeches and other housekeeping, it is unlikely that the House even begins the Speaker vote until after 1 pm et with a result sometime well after 2 pm et.

7:13 AM · Oct 17, 2023

Go, Jordan, go Jordan!!!   :cheerlead:

Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

1) Raskin: I would think that Liz Cheney would be the natural compromise candidate...And if they couldn't vote for Liz Cheney, that would be a hell of a statement about the condition of their party.

2) Raskin: It's starting to look like there is a consolidation of the party around Trump and around the MAGA wing. So I think the GOP right now might be  the party of Trump

3) Raskin: I'm hoping that cooler heads will prevail, but it would be a very extreme statement for them to choose Jim Jordan is Speaker.

9:42 AM · Oct 17, 2023

Godspeed, Jim!  🙏🤞

Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

A) Top Dem on Rules Cmte McGovern: I would like to see Hakeem Jeffries as speaker, but..I'd also like to see the Speaker who is the Speaker of the entire House, who you know, who actually gives a damn,

B) McGovern: And it is not going to be cheering on a government shutdown or trying to abruptly cut aid to Ukraine...we ought to have some discussions about, you know, whether or not there is a Democrat or Republican..who could fit that category where Democrats could be supportive

9:03 AM · Oct 17, 2023

Bacon's a no vote ---- being slammed by his constituents.

Jesse Kelly
@JesseKellyDC

You were deployed to an Air Force base. You had less chance of encountering violence than you do while walking to your office in D.C. every day. And better Wi-Fi. Sell that somewhere else, Rambo.

Don Bacon 🇺🇸 🥓 ✈️ 🏍️
@DonJBacon
·12h

I’m not budging. I’m a five-time commander and deployed to Middle-East four times. I’ll do what is best for country.

10:13 AM · Oct 17, 2023

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I'm personally hoping there are at least 5 Republicans with a spine to vote for someone other than Jordan.  But, they're moderates, so maybe not.