Author Topic: Air Force sees surge in laser pointer incidents  (Read 154 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force sees surge in laser pointer incidents
« on: October 15, 2023, 02:35:37 pm »
Air Force sees surge in laser pointer incidents

Laser pointers can disrupt flight operations, create challenges for pilots
Office of Special Investigations: ‘These are not harmless pranks’
FAA: US saw 41% spike in aircraft laser strikes in 2021
Caitlyn Shelton

Updated: OCT 10, 2023 / 04:32 PM CDT

(NewsNation) — Investigators who protect the Air Force reported Tuesday they are seeing a surge in incidents involving laser pointers, which can pose significant threats to aircraft.

The Office of Special Investigations (OSI) said while the beams seem harmless, they can disrupt flight operations and create challenges for pilots. According to OSI officials, the effect of a laser beam on pilots is similar to a camera flash in a pitch-black car at night and can result in disorientation or temporary blindness.

“These are not harmless pranks. There’s a risk of causing permanent visual impairment. From the public’s standpoint, misusing lasers can severely impact a person’s ability to see and function,” said an OSI Center official.

OSI said it refers to these events as “lazing incidents” and warned they are felonies.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/military/air-force-surge-laser-pointer-incidents/#:~:text=%28NewsNation%29%20%E2%80%94%20Investigators%20who%20protect%20the%20Air%20Force,disrupt%20flight%20operations%20and%20create%20challenges%20for%20pilots.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson