Author Topic: Seattle police staffing now at lowest level since 1991 amid spiking crime  (Read 378 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
AMERICAN NEWS Oct 12, 2023
Seattle police staffing now at lowest level since 1991 amid spiking crime

The mass exodus of officers has continued since the City Council began defunding the department in 2020 in response to the BLM and Antifa riots.

Ari Hoffman
Seattle WA
Oct 12, 2023

The Seattle Police Department (SPD) has lost so many officers that it has dropped to staffing levels not seen since 1991, amid spiking crime.

A copy of the mayor’s 2024 budget proposal obtained by KOMO News stated, “The city’s police staffing crisis, now in its third year, has resulted in only 937 police officers available for deployment in the city as of August 31, 2023, the lowest number of in-service officers since 1991 and significantly below per-capita staffing relative to similarly situated jurisdictions.”

Yet since the 1990s, the city has grown by approximately 200,000 people, according to the US Census Bureau, leaving the Emerald City with only 1.3 officers per 1,000 residents.

The FBI recommends the average officer-to-resident ratio for cities similar in size to Seattle as 2.6 per 1,000 residents. Though other similar-sized cities such as Denver (1.9 officers per 1,000 residents), Phoenix (1.6 officers per 1,000 residents) and San Francisco (2.2 officers per 1,000 residents) also failed to meet the threshold, few were as far behind as Seattle.

https://thepostmillennial.com/seattle-police-staffing-now-at-lowest-level-since-1991-amid-spiking-crime
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"...only 937 police officers available for deployment in the city as of August 31, 2023, the lowest number of in-service officers since 1991"

By next year, they'll probably be down around 875-880.
Who wants to do that job there any longer ??

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
"...only 937 police officers available for deployment in the city as of August 31, 2023, the lowest number of in-service officers since 1991"

By next year, they'll probably be down around 875-880.
Who wants to do that job there any longer ??

This is what the idiots in Seattle wanted....defunding the police....what a brilliant idea.  *****rollingeyes*****
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline LMAO

These cities don't need to actually defund their police departments

The police officers themselves are making that choice to leave
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy