Author Topic: Republicans eye expanding McHenry’s powers amid leadership fallout  (Read 382 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Republicans eye expanding McHenry’s powers amid leadership fallout
by Rebecca Beitsch - 10/12/23 7:50 PM ET

House Republicans are exploring whether to expand the powers held by Speaker Pro Tem Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) as the conference looks nowhere near ready to make a final decision on a new Speaker.

Frustrated by the stalemate that is preventing the House from doing any business, GOP lawmakers are taken a new look at what McHenry can do in his new position, with moderate Republicans seeking to expand the position’s power.

Rep. María Elvira Salazar (R-Fla.) in a letter signed by members of the moderate Republican Governance Group — she wouldn’t say how many — backed the prospect of drafting a resolution to give McHenry the option to “reopen business.”

“It’s time for us to keep on working. So if we need more time as a group to pick the leader, then in the meantime, we can walk and chew gum at the same time. Right? So let’s keep on moving business while we find the permanent person for the position,” she told reporters huddled outside of the Speaker’s office, where she dropped off the letter.

Other Republicans, however, say they’d oppose any move that would further entrench McHenry in the role or expand his authorities, saying this could take the pressure off members from picking a new Speaker.

“We don’t need to take any pressure off of our conference to come to a final conclusion on a permanent speaker, no pressure taken off of our conference to be any less motivated as a result of giving powers to a temporary speaker pro temp,” Rep. Jodey Arrington (R-Texas) told The Hill.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4253463-republicans-eye-expanding-mchenrys-powers-amid-leadership-deadlock/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Republicans eye expanding McHenry’s powers amid leadership fallout
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 01:37:15 pm »
Democrats keep accusing Republicans of being incapable of governing, while Republicans keep proving their point.

I totally understand the frustration with Kevin McCarthy that led to his ouster.

But can the GOP just for once put the nation's interests ahead of their petty little jealousies and personal agendas?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 01:46:12 pm »
If you don't like the Speaker, elect a different one with a new Congress.  Just seems pointless to me when you've got such a small majority, a hostile Debate and President, and aren't going to be able to pass conservative legislation anyway.  All this has done is embarrass the entire party - moderates and conservatives alike, plus create intra-party grudges that likely will last well beyond this term.

I get the sentiment.  But sentiment doesn't get you from A to B if the numbers aren't there.

Nobody seems to actively dislike McHenry, so maybe this will work out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 01:54:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 02:39:12 pm »
They aren’t even going to elect a new speaker.  Way to go rednecks. 

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 02:52:39 pm »
They aren’t even going to elect a new speaker.  Way to go rednecks.

They jumped off a cliff, and thought they'd figure out how to land on the way down.

That's the reason the GOP Conference policy was that a Motion to Vacate should have majority support within the conference.  That would basically mean - when majority votes were respected, anyway - that there was a consensus for a new Speaker.

The only purpose served in having a one-vote requirement under House (as opposed to Conference) rules was to benefit the minority.  So that they could file a Motion and perhaps peel off enough of the majority to defeat the Speaker.  That's why Pelosi got rid of it.

We just scored an own goal.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 02:56:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 03:06:51 pm »
We’ll go to conference, talk with our colleagues but I feel real good about us having the votes,” Rep. @JimJordan on his new bid for #HouseSpeaker. 👇🏾

https://twitter.com/NikolenDC/status/1712838294185103452

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 03:14:25 pm »
All this has done is embarrass the entire party - moderates and conservatives alike ...... Nobody seems to actively dislike McHenry, so maybe this will work out.

For this  pointing-up  POV ------ I blame soy milk.   888blackhat

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 03:22:54 pm »
For this  pointing-up  POV ------ I blame soy milk.   888blackhat

I think that post is kind of the reverse of what Dylan Windler does.