Author Topic: Army Basic Leader Course Will Soon Be Longer and Have Graded Land Navigation  (Read 250 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army Basic Leader Course Will Soon Be Longer and Have Graded Land Navigation
Steve Beynon
Mon, October 9, 2023 at 5:34 PM EDT·3 min read

Soldiers aiming to get their stripes will soon need to brush up on their map-reading skills and grid plotting.

The Army plans to increase the length of its Basic Leader Course, or BLC, in fiscal 2026, which starts in October 2025, Sgt. Maj. Jason Stadel, a service spokesperson told Military.com. Among the plans is adding about three days to the school, fundamentally shifting the course from mostly sticking to academics and policy to reintegrating combat training, with land navigation taking center stage.

"It builds personal confidence when you go out in the woods, and you got to use the old stuff," Sergeant Major of the Army Michael Weimer told Military.com in an interview.

https://news.yahoo.com/army-basic-leader-course-soon-213453335.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
That may be the plan.  If minorities start having problems with the course, challenging parts of it will be trashed to achieve "racial equity."
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Land navigation is about more than just getting from point A to point B.  It also is about being able to look at a map and visualize the depicted terrain, which is an essential skill for a combat leader.