Author Topic: Israel-Hamas war reveals challenges to US pullback in Middle East  (Read 223 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Israel-Hamas war reveals challenges to US pullback in Middle East
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 Oct 9, 06:57 PM

Palestinians celebrate by a destroyed Israeli tank near the Gaza Strip on Oct. 7, 2023, when Hamas carried out an unprecedented, multi-front attack on Israel. (Hassan Eslaiah/AP)
Last fall, the White House’s National Security Strategy made clear that a reduced role for the U.S. military in the Middle East was in store.

De-escalation, partnerships and an avoidance of “grand designs” would guide military and diplomatic policy as the Pentagon continued its years-long pivot toward countering China and continuing the West’s proxy war against Russia in Ukraine, moves that inevitably require pulling military resources from elsewhere.

But defense analysts say the U.S. may face challenges in extracting American forces from the region in the wake of Saturday’s unprecedented attack inside Israel by the Palestinian militant group Hamas. Following the attack, Israel has vowed to invade and seize the restive Gaza Strip from the Iranian-backed militants.

Meanwhile, Pentagon officials say U.S. Navy and Air Force assets are being buttressed in the region to dissuade Iran or other regional actors from further aiding Hamas, which has been designated a terrorist organization by the U.S. and European Union.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/10/09/israel-hamas-war-reveals-challenges-to-us-pullback-in-middle-east/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Israel-Hamas war reveals challenges to US pullback in Middle East
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 04:13:50 pm »
The time seems about right for N. Korea to make some kind of incursion into the South so that the US will further deplete it's military resources along with supporting Israel and Ukraine.  I, of course, am not suggesting this is a coordinated effort of wreck the military. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson