Author Topic: Marines are moving gradually to integrate women and men in boot camp  (Read 272 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marines are moving gradually to integrate women and men in boot camp
By Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press
 Oct 8, 10:20 AM

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. — Under a scorching sky at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, two young recruits grapple awkwardly in hand-to-hand combat inside an Octagon training structure. Circling them, the drill instructor barks orders, “Hit her! Punch her! DO something!”

Outside the ring, a mix of male and female Marine hopefuls are helping each other put on protective headgear, preparing for their turn at combat. They are assigned to one of the mixed-gender recruit companies as the Marine Corps moves gradually — and at times reluctantly — to more integrated training at boot camp.

It’s been a bit hit-and-miss.

While companies of men and women train together at the ring, on the obstacle course or at the range, the line of recruits outside the swimming pool presents a sharp contrast. There the companies are broken up into their smaller platoons that remain separated by gender. So as they line up, there is a small group of women standing rod-straight at the front with groups of men in formation behind them.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2023/10/08/marines-are-moving-gradually-to-integrate-women-and-men-in-boot-camp/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online dfwgator

Re: Marines are moving gradually to integrate women and men in boot camp
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 03:45:08 pm »

"Well that sounds very stylish."

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 03:45:16 pm »
Real recruit training happens at the platoon level.  Trying to integrate men and women in things like hand to hand combat....

I was at MCB Quantico in the 80's, and there was a push to try to do that from some visiting female members of Congress.  The one male v. female pugil stick exercise did not go as they had expected.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 10:22:59 pm »
I really,really,REALLY wish I could believe this was a joke or spoof,but I know it isn't.

IIRC,the US Army actually  graduated a female West Point Graduate from Ranger School several years ago.

There is no way in HELL a female can withstand the physical demands of Ranger School unless she has comsumed her body weight in steroids.

Which means,she got a "social PC graduation".

I do have to wonder what her position and rank are in the army today. If anyone knows,PLEASE post it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!