Author Topic: Divesting Fighters Now Undermines USAF’s Capacity to ‘Fight and Win’ Later  (Read 480 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Divesting Fighters Now Undermines USAF’s Capacity to ‘Fight and Win’ Later
Oct. 6, 2023 | By Maj. Gen. Philip Killey, USAF (Ret.)

Since 9/11, the No. 1 priority of the National Military Strategy (NMS) has been to “Defend the Homeland.” Some 94 percent of that mission falls to Air National Guard squadrons sitting 24/7 alert in Reagan-era F-15 and F-16 fighter aircraft. 

The Air National Guard is the Air Force’s “Ace in the Hole.” Its Airmen are experienced, with more than half its pilots being former Active-Duty members who are now flying with the airlines while still serving in the Air Guard. Its units are more stable, with almost all of its people staying in the same unit for 20 years or more; 70 percent part-time members who live and work in the community, bringing with them civilian skills and values. That makes them a more cost-effective force, one that is equally trained and ready to fight and win anytime, anywhere, as the active-duty force. 

This unique capability is now threatened. 

The Total Air Force is now the oldest, smallest, and least ready in its 76-year history. It possesses only 2,176 fighter aircraft, less than half the 4,556 fighters USAF had in 1990. With only 48 fighter squadrons today, the Air Force is too small to successfully accomplish its NMS requirements and the needs of the nation’s six regional combatant commanders. Those requirements call for 60 fighter squadrons to fight and win.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/divesting-fighters-defend-homeland/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It fits perfectly into the Biden/democrat plan to destroy America. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The shift is to 'gee whiz' platforms that supposedly can do it all, while forgetting that quantity has a quality all its own.

Divesting of existing platforms for the platforms not yet developed is a recipe for getting caught with your pants down.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis