Author Topic: Jordan, Scalise Speaker's Fight Goes Back to Boehner-Era Clashes  (Read 510 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jordan, Scalise Speaker's Fight Goes Back to Boehner-Era Clashes
Neil W. McCabe

In the fight to be the next speaker, Rep. Jim Jordan (R.-Ohio) faces facing Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R.-La.), who has been a part of the House Republican leadership since 2014, when he replaced Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R.-Calif.) as majority whip after McCarthy became majority leader.

This shuffle came about after Jordan, along with Rep. Mark Meadows (R.-N.C.), forced Speaker John Boehner (R.-Ohio) to resign, by filing a vacate the chair motion on the last day before the August 2014 recess.

Boehner did resign right away, and it did not seem like Jordan and Meadows would succeed until House Republicans came back to Washington--having heard in their districts a growing frustration with the speaker.

In a fateful meeting, Jordan, Meadows and Boehner agreed to let Boehner, a Catholic, hang on to his speakership until after the visit of Pope Francis to Washington. Boehner resigned the next day.

more
https://redstate.com/mccabe/2023/10/06/trump-jordan-has-my-complete-and-total-endorsement-n2164738
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Jordan, Scalise Speaker's Fight Goes Back to Boehner-Era Clashes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 03:41:31 pm »
Scalise survived being shot and is fighting cancer.  He doesn't need this Speaker drama, so he can drive a better deal for himself.

Jordan may make the same mistake as McCarthy - saying, doing, and agreeing to anything necessary to be Speaker.
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 12:14:06 am »
Scalise survived being shot and is fighting cancer.  He doesn't need this Speaker drama, so he can drive a better deal for himself.

Jordan may make the same mistake as McCarthy - saying, doing, and agreeing to anything necessary to be Speaker.

The 45 GOP reps who signed that letter don't sound like they're too inclined to give Gaetz' & Co what they wanted all along, which was Jordan.  And I don't think Gaetz & Co. will vote for a Speaker unless they promise Gaetz & Co. what they want, which also goes against what those 45 said in their letter.  So I think there's a decent shot at a hard impasse.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 01:48:40 am »
   If anybody can do it; it will be Jordan. 
   He already played Trump like a fiddle (saying nice things about him) to receive his endorsement. Seems he's further removed from the Boehner/Ryan/McCarthy wing of the party than Scalise, according to this article.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 02:37:23 am »
Two things that bother me about Scalise.  One is that Scalise has been brought up as part of the GOP leadership under Ryan and McCarthy.  The second is that he doesn't act like the Democrats are mortal enemies, which I would expect from someone who was nearly murdered by them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 02:49:53 am »
Two things that bother me about Scalise.  One is that Scalise has been brought up as part of the GOP leadership under Ryan and McCarthy.  The second is that he doesn't act like the Democrats are mortal enemies, which I would expect from someone who was nearly murdered by them.
Not a fan of Scalise either.  I like Jordan, but not under these circumstances.

I'd be fine with just keeping the bow-tie guy.