Author Topic: The Navy has an entire forest to maintain a single ship  (Read 207 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy has an entire forest to maintain a single ship
« on: October 05, 2023, 02:44:31 pm »
The Navy has an entire forest to maintain a single ship
By
Logan Nye
Aug 9, 2023

SUMMARY
How did a massive section of boring forest far from the water become essential to Naval Support Activity Crane? Let’s find out.

Wanna guess where one of the largest Navy installations by land mass is? A few hints: It's in a double-landlocked state, it's basically a quirk of history that the Navy even owns it, and it's vital to the preservation of the oldest active warship in the world. It's Naval Support Activity Crane in Indiana. Yeah, it's named so inconspicuously that it could be a setting in The Simpsons. And while Indiana has a little Great Lakes frontage thanks to Lake Michigan, NSA Crane is 200 miles from even that bit of moisture. So, how did a massive section of boring forest far from the water become an essential Navy base?

The growth of Naval Support Activity Crane
The Naval support activity came about thanks to a twist of history. According to National Geographic, the government originally purchased 40,000 acres of land there as a part of the New Deal. The feds scooped up land that was unfarmable and otherwise hard to develop, infusing cash into communities.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/military-news/naval-support-activity-crane-has-an-entire-forest-to-maintain-a-single-ship/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: The Navy has an entire forest to maintain a single ship
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 03:19:28 pm »
1.) I have a piece of oak removed from the USS Constitution in '73/'74.
2.) Most of the old Charlestown Navy Yard is now maintained by the National Park Service, or been developed into office space or condos. (Nixon closed it after Mass voted for McGovern in 1972).

I think the Navy's maintence of the USS Constitution was to curry support from (at one-time) powerful Mass Dems like Ted Kennedy and Tip O'Neill.

The USS Constitution should be taken off the Navy's budget and transferred to the National Park Service.  That forest should be transferred to the National Park Service or to the USDA National Forest Service.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright