Author Topic: Mexico’s president says 10,000 migrants a day head to US border; he blames US sanctions on Cuba  (Read 200 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Mexico’s president says 10,000 migrants a day head to US border; he blames US sanctions on Cuba
Updated 4:00 PM EDT, October 2, 2023

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s president said Monday that about 10,000 migrants per day are heading to the U.S. border, and he blamed U.S. economic sanctions on countries like Cuba and Venezuela for the influx.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said the number of migrants reaching Mexico’s northern border with the United States was partly due to about 6,000 migrants per day crossing into Mexico from Guatemala over the past week.

He said many of those migrants are traveling on a route through Central America that includes the jungle-clad Darien Gap region between Panama and Colombia.

López Obrador seemed to join Colombian President Gustavo Petro in blaming the situation on U.S. sanctions on countries like Venezuela and Cuba, whose citizens make up a large part of the migrant flow. Experts say economic mismanagement and political repression are largely to blame for the tide of migrants leaving those countries.

https://apnews.com/article/mexico-migrants-us-border-sanctions-6b9f0cab3afec8680154e7fb9a5e5f82
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson