Author Topic: Now that climate policy is going to hurt, the big backtracking has begun  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Now that climate policy is going to hurt, the big backtracking has begun

Paul Luttikhuis, NRC

From one of our correspondents.

Climate editor of the NRC Paul Luttikhuis analyses a major stagnation when it comes to international climate policy. Across Europe, politicians are delaying ambitious climate plans for fear of being judged in elections.

Luttikhuis:

When British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak had to answer for his decision to water down climate policy a week ago, he said that politicians – including those from his own party – had been dishonest about costs and trade-offs for far too long. "Instead, they chose the easiest path, saying that everything is possible at once, according to Sunak."

The country was one of the first to adopt a climate law that strictly set goals. And now Sunak wants to delay the ban on the sale of new gasoline cars from 2030 to 2035, delay the replacement of gas-fired heating installations with heat pumps, and make less haste with insulating homes.

Sunak is not the only head of government to make such a U-turn in recent times. In May, French President Emmanuel Macron called on Brussels to step up with new climate plans. Macron called himself a strong supporter of the Green Deal, a series of European laws to protect climate and biodiversity, but not at the expense of European industry.

https://www.climategate.nl/2023/09/nu-het-klimaatbeleid-pijn-gaat-doen-is-het-grote-terugkrabbelen-begonnen/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson