Author Topic: New York City moves to suspend 'right to shelter' as migrant influx continues  (Read 207 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 New York City moves to suspend 'right to shelter' as migrant influx continues
Story by ANTHONY IZAGUIRRE •
16h

New York City is challenging a unique legal agreement that requires it to provide emergency housing to anyone who asks for it, as the city's shelter system strains under a large influx of international migrants who have arrived since last year.

The city filed a request late Tuesday asking a court to allow it to suspend the requirement when there is a state of emergency where the shelter population of single adults increases at a rapid rate.

The filing came as Mayor Eric Adams embarks on a four-day trip through Latin America, starting Wednesday in Mexico, where he said he will discourage people from coming to New York, telling them the city's shelter system is at capacity and its resources are overwhelmed.

The city has been moving to suspend the so-called right to shelter for months under the surge of migrants, arguing the requirement was never intended to be applied to a humanitarian crisis such as the latest influx.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-city-moves-to-suspend-right-to-shelter-as-migrant-influx-continues/ar-AA1hHGED?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e4804f252f57490c9dac544b240a72a3&ei=7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
There ain't no damn humanitarian crisis cuz the border is "secure." 0380000
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson