Author Topic: All the things the House can't do without a speaker  (Read 417 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
All the things the House can't do without a speaker
« on: October 04, 2023, 01:22:59 pm »
All the things the House can't do without a speaker
by Jack Birle, Breaking News Reporter
October 04, 2023 08:47 AM

The House of Representatives is without a speaker for the second time this year, grinding many functions of the legislative body to a halt.

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) was ousted as House speaker in a historic 216-210 vote, which saw eight Republicans join all present Democrats in the motion to vacate. Following the vote, McCarthy said he would not seek the speakership again, setting up a battle in the House Republican Conference. House Republicans plan on voting for a new House speaker on Oct. 11, meaning the body will be without its constitutionally mandated leader.

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC) is serving as speaker pro tempore of the House until a new speaker can be elected, but he is only an interim leader of the chamber and does not have the same powers as an elected speaker. McHenry was selected as speaker pro tempore after being at the top of McCarthy's secret list for succession to the speakership.

No legislative function can occur on the House floor until a new speaker is elected. No votes or any other basic functions can occur on the floor of the House until the election has been resolved.

While this does not cause any immediate problems, a prolonged speaker election could cause trouble, with the government set to shut down if spending bills are not approved by Nov. 16. The longest vacancy the House has had for a speakership dates back to the 1800s, when the chamber took 133 ballots from December 1855 to February 1856 to elect a speaker.

Despite the House floor being effectively paralyzed by the lack of a House speaker, committees may continue to work and function without a speaker. The current situation is less harmful to House functions outside of the floor than the vacant speakership was in January because a rules bill outlining how the 118th Congress will function has been passed, unlike nine months ago.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/all-the-things-house-cant-do-without-speaker
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: All the things the House can't do without a speaker
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 01:41:52 pm »
Thay say that like it is a bad thing.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 01:47:22 pm »
Thay say that like it is a bad thing.

They have until Nov. 16 until a shutdown if the spending bill is not approved and they're voting on Oct. 11 on a new speaker ... I see it as the GOP has time to get their schitz together and unite (that's a monumental feat these days). :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 02:00:15 pm »
McCarthy's secret list for succession to the speakership
Hmm, what?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 02:02:36 pm »
#1 - Congress can't further indenture future generations to the tyranny of inter-generational debt.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 03:36:12 pm »

Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-NC) is serving as speaker pro tempore of the House until a new speaker can be elected, but he is only an interim leader of the chamber and does not have the same powers as an elected speaker. McHenry was selected as speaker pro tempore after being at the top of McCarthy's secret list for succession to the speakership.

No legislative function can occur on the House floor until a new speaker is elected. No votes or any other basic functions can occur on the floor of the House until the election has been resolved.

I don't think that's true at all.  There are literally no specific duties for the Speaker listed in the Constitution, and no requirement that a speaker being placed in order to pass legislation.  That would all be by House rule.

I watched yesterday as McHenry was appointed, and the powers granted to him under House rules were extremely broad. Essentially, to have all the powers of a Speaker necessary and proper to conduct the business of the House.   So I'd have to see something more thoroughly analyzed before accepting this claim that they can't pass legislation with a Speaker pro tempore.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 03:44:33 pm »

So it's a win-win.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 04:00:41 pm »
Hmm, what?

In the aftermath of 9/11, there was a concern as to what would happen if the office of speaker were suddenly vacant.  So the House passed a rule saying that the sitting Speaker should prepare a list of five names, and if the Speakership was ever vacant, the top name on the list would become the Speaker pro tempore until another could be elected.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 07:40:35 pm »
In the aftermath of 9/11, there was a concern as to what would happen if the office of speaker were suddenly vacant.  So the House passed a rule saying that the sitting Speaker should prepare a list of five names, and if the Speakership was ever vacant, the top name on the list would become the Speaker pro tempore until another could be elected.
I have no problem with designating a successor, but the secrecy is a little disturbing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 11:07:20 pm »
The government that governs least, governs best.

Let the Speaker's seat stay vacant.
The country is better off when they do nothing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 12:06:19 am by Fishrrman »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 11:16:19 pm »
The less the House does, the better.