Author Topic: Jim Jordan becomes first to announce run for speaker  (Read 708 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jim Jordan becomes first to announce run for speaker
« on: October 04, 2023, 03:33:24 pm »
Jim Jordan becomes first to announce run for speaker

His candidacy will likely run right into Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.), who is also considering a speakership bid and has worked to court conservatives.

By Anthony Adragna and Daniella Diaz
10/04/2023, 10:36am ET

Rep. Jim Jordan said he will run to be the next speaker, a move likely to prompt praise from House conservatives.

Jordan, the House Judiciary chair and member of the House Freedom Caucus, has worked closely with Oversight Chair James Comer (R-Ky.) on the impeachment inquiry into Joe Biden. He had also become a close ally of now-ex Speaker Kevin McCarthy in recent years.

But his candidacy will likely run right into Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.), who is also considering a speakership bid and has worked to court conservatives.

“Jim is a friend, and I certainly think he brings a whole lot that this conference would be able to rally around, but we've got to all have a conversation and I'm not going to say who I'm supporting at this point," said Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), a member of the conservative House Freedom Caucus.

"We’re going to figure this out behind closed doors as a family," he added.

The Ohio Republican was elected to Congress in 2007. He is a Trump ally within the GOP conference and one of the many chairs to have called for Congress to defund the Department of Justice over whistleblower claims that DOJ hampered the Hunter Biden investigation.

Nicholas Wu contributed to this report.

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/04/congress/jordain-officially-in-00119892
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Jim Jordan becomes first to announce run for speaker
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 04:07:45 pm »
 :hands:   :crossed:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 04:10:55 pm »
Paging Anna Luna --- please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 04:17:02 pm »
No chance.  Moderates aren't going to elect anyone from the Freedom Caucus after so many of them voted to boot McCarthy.

Maybe Scalise has a chance - unless the FC tries to extract promises from him like Luna basically is doing with that letter.

Still think it'll end up McHenry because nobody will be able to get majority.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 04:17:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 04:21:12 pm »
The Uniparty finds this tweet: 

Jack Poso
@JackPosobiec

If Jordan becomes Speaker, give Judiciary Committee to Gaetz and let him loose on Hunter Biden and J6

10:31 AM · Oct 4, 2023

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 04:22:33 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 04:25:38 pm »
The Uniparty finds this tweet: 

Confirmation that Posobiec lives in a fantasy world. 

There is less than a 0% chance that the 200+ GOP reps who hate Gaetz would elect anyone as Speaker who would reward him by giving him Judiciary.  Never, ever going to happen.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 07:37:10 pm »
Exclusive — Rep. Jim Banks Endorses Jim Jordan for Speaker: He ‘Knows How to Fight Back’ Against Radical Democrats

Jim Banks endorsed Jim Jordan’s bid for speaker, charging that the Ohio firebrand “knows how to fight back” against the radical Democrats.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/04/exclusive-rep-jim-banks-endorses-jim-jordan-for-speaker-he-knows-how-to-fight-back-against-radical-democrats/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 02:47:22 pm »
Jim Jordan Says Whether He Will Keep Motion To Vacate In Place

Brianna Lyman
News and Commentary Writer
October 05, 2023 9:53 AM ET

Republican Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan said Thursday on Fox & Friends that he will keep the motion to vacate by one vote rule in place because he’s not willing to negotiate with Democrats.

Jordan announced Wednesday he is running for Speaker of the House just one day after Kevin McCarthy was ousted from the role. The House voted Tuesday to remove McCarthy after eight Republicans, spearheaded by Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz, voted alongside Democrats on the motion to vacate the chair.

“I can’t believe you would accept the job without that one vote margin to vacate,” Fox & Friends co-host Brian Kilmeade said. “It’s suicidal. I mean, [McCarthy] had 210 votes supporting him and he’s out of a job. It’s impossible to keep 218 people happy all the time.”

more
https://dailycaller.com/2023/10/05/jim-jordan-motion-to-vacate/
Support the USO

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 03:44:04 pm »
Well of course he's willing to keep it - it's only his allies within the caucus that are willing to blow it up.

It will be interesting to see if everyone outside the FC is as spineless as they are accused of being, and agree to Jordan.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2023, 03:47:27 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Right_in_Virginia

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 05:33:10 am »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 05:47:51 am »
I was pulling for Jordan until I saw that.  Now I'm not so sure.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2023, 07:37:53 pm »
Rand Paul
@RandPaul

There are big differences in the race for Speaker regarding fiscal responsibility and aid to Ukraine.

We need to stop funding other country’s wars and fix our fiscal mess. One candidate for Speaker agrees.

If I were voting for Speaker, @Jim_Jordan would have my enthusiastic vote.

8:09 AM · Oct 6, 2023