Author Topic: Here are 4 of the likely contenders to replace McCarthy as speaker  (Read 487 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Here are 4 of the likely contenders to replace McCarthy as speaker

Reps Steve Scalise, Tom Emmer, Kevin Hern and Jim Jordan are just some of the names being floated

Former Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s decision not to seek the top job again after being ousted by members of his own party caught many by surprise on Tuesday evening — while also creating a power vacuum to take over the gavel.

GOP lawmakers have already started putting in calls to colleagues in the hours after McCarthy, R-Calif., stepped aside.

The House Republican conference is expected to have a candidate forum for House speaker on Tuesday next week followed by elections on Wednesday..............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/four-likely-contenders-replace-mccarthy-speaker

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Here are 4 of the likely contenders to replace McCarthy as speaker
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 01:44:27 pm »
bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 01:58:55 pm »
Steve Scalise  :yowsa:
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 02:02:47 pm »
Steve Scalise  :yowsa:

Scalise would be good BUT...

... a major hurdle is Scalise’s health. He was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and has already undergone aggressive chemotherapy treatment.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 02:07:56 pm »
I would like to see one of the eight Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy replace him:

Andy Biggs of Arizona
    Ken Buck of Colorado
    Tim Burchett of Tennessee
    Eli Crane of Arizona
    Matt Gaetz of Florida
    Bob Good of Virginia
    Nancy Mace of South Carolina
    Matt Rosendale of Montana

I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 02:10:29 pm »
Steve Scalise doesn't have to do the job by himself ... he can delegate day-to-day items to other GOP House Members ... the most important thing Steve Scalise can do is to appoint new people to leadership positions ... committee chairmanships, whips, etc. ... to move the GOP House forward.

Steve Scalise can fulfill the role Benjamin Franklin played at the Continental Congress and Constitutional Convention.

Steve Scalise can be the adult in the room that the House GOP has been missing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 02:11:18 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 02:11:36 pm »
Who'd want the job.

I've had 100's bug me about getting into local politics, and my standard answer is why would I want those headaches?
Honorable public service just isn't the same as it was when I remember 40 years ago.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 02:14:58 pm »
I think I'd rather be janitor.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 02:17:30 pm »
Who'd want the job.

I've had 100's bug me about getting into local politics, and my standard answer is why would I want those headaches?
Honorable public service just isn't the same as it was when I remember 40 years ago.

That's a fact ... and a shame.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 02:22:35 pm »
REPORT: Reps Jim Jordan, Steve Scalise, Kevin Hern Considering Speakership Runs

https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2023/10/04/report-jim-jordan-is-considering-run-for-speaker-n2164659
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 02:29:57 pm »
Who'd want the job.

Entirely possible that those who may want the job won't want the headaches with which McCarthy had to deal.

There was a ton of resentment within the rest of the caucus at the promises and extra committee representation, etc., that McCarthy gave to the Freedom Caucus.  The "broken promises" by McCarthy were largely due to the rest of the caucuse saying "no more."

So my guess is that won't happen again.  Whoever ultimately gets the position - and it is entirely possible that nobody will be elected Speaker - will make no promises or give any special consideration to any group, including the Freedom Caucus.  That could potentially result in the FC losing some chairmanships or committee seats.

If course, enough members of the FC may oppose that to sink that Speaker candidate, so we may end up with McHenry for the rest of this Congress.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 02:34:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2023, 02:30:38 pm »
I would like to see one of the eight Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy replace him:

Andy Biggs of Arizona
    Ken Buck of Colorado
    Tim Burchett of Tennessee
    Eli Crane of Arizona
    Matt Gaetz of Florida
    Bob Good of Virginia
    Nancy Mace of South Carolina
    Matt Rosendale of Montana

They should be responsible for finding a replacement.  It's their show, after all. 

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2023, 02:30:46 pm »
 ////00000////

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2023, 02:35:07 pm »
Who'd want the job.

Quote from: Polly Ticks link=topic=514271.msg2914588/topicseen.html#msg2914588 date=1696428696
That's a fact ... and a shame.

And exactly why we find ourselves in the mess we do.

Letting somebody else do it is exactly how we got here.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 02:38:18 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 02:35:40 pm »
They should be responsible for finding a replacement.  It's their show, after all.

I would bet a very large sum of money that nobody from that group will be elected Speaker.  I wouldn't be surprised if they lost some committee seats.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 02:52:54 pm »
And exactly why we find ourselves in the mess we do.

Letting somebody else do it is exactly how we got here.

I hear you, and I do feel a slight amount of guilt.  With my experience with water at the industrial and regulatory level, I am actually over qualified to be a Utility District Commisioner. I had a tinge on interest in community service after I retired until  I found out that angry residents will call you at 11 pm for brown water coming out their faucets.

And for basically a non-paying elected position for that?  No Thanks...
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2023, 05:49:17 pm »
I think I'd rather be janitor.
Yup, you still have to deal with crap but it's a much higher quality.