Author Topic: Judge issues gag order against Trump over post calling law clerk ‘Schumer’s girlfriend’  (Read 450 times)

Offline Kamaji

Judge issues gag order against Trump over social media post calling law clerk ‘Schumer’s girlfriend’

By Kyle Schnitzer, Ben Kochman and Priscilla DeGregory
Published Oct. 3, 2023

The Manhattan judge deciding the $250 million civil fraud case against Donald Trump muzzled and sharply rebuked the former president on Tuesday for a social media post in which he took aim at a court clerk and baselessly dubbed her “Schumer’s girlfriend.”

Manhattan Supreme Court Arthur Engoron, during the second day of trial, issued a limited gag order – and threatened “serious sanctions” if the directive is ignored.

“This morning, one of the defendants posted to a social media account a disparaging, untrue post about a member of my staff,” Engoron said in court after an extended lunch break.

The missive in question was posted by Trump, 77, shortly before noon Tuesday on Truth Social and included a picture of Engoron’s longtime law clerk standing with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) at a campaign event.

“Schumer’s girlfriend, Allison R. Greenfield, is running this case against me,” Trump wrote without evidence in a caption that linked to her Instagram account.

The post was removed during the court’s lunch break later in the day – after Engoron said he ordered it be taken down – but was sent out via email by Trump’s 2024 campaign.

“Although I have since ordered the post to be deleted, it has been mailed out to millions of others,” the judge said.

“Consider this a gag order,” Engoron said, elaborating that the ruling relates to all parties in the case and covers verbal attacks on court staff.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/10/03/judge-muzzles-trump-after-social-media-post-about-court-clerk/

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm2:

Trump just cannot help himself; he is his own worst enemy.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
He literally needs a physical gag in his mouth, lol.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Yeah, there's no legit free speech argument for going after the judge's staff, and I noticed that the judge's order does not limit Trump's ability to be critical of the judge himself.