Author Topic: Matt Gaetz: I Will Move to Oust McCarthy as Speaker this Week  (Read 1169 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Matt Gaetz: I Will Move to Oust McCarthy as Speaker this Week
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2023, 06:31:07 pm »

Sorry, but the so-called patriots are in the minority.

Aren't they always...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2023, 06:55:29 pm »
Typical excuse making for the Establishment Loyalists.

The Patriots were fighting for a return to passing appropriation bills instead of a CR and then later an omnibus bill.

But that's not what you said.  You said the "Establishment Loyalists" were fighting to avoid "any reduction," which is demonstrably not true because they actually voted for one.

If you want to accuse them of not being willing to do an indefinite shutdown simply to try to do separate appropriations bills, that would be accurate.

Of course, the problem is that the GOP caucus itself cannot agree on a spending level for each of those 12 bills, so they'd actually be shutting down the government to advance bills that literally do not exist.

More importantly, that's not the fault of the Democrats, or the Senate - it's the House Republicans themselves who can't pass those bills.  So what you literally had was House Republicans shutting down the government because House Republicans can't agree on spending bills.

Shouldn't surprise anyone that a majority of House Republicans weren't willing to commit that kind of political suicide.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 07:32:03 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2023, 09:35:27 pm »
Aren't they always...

Unfortunately yes. What does the GOP truly stand for these days?? They are not united for certain.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2023, 02:01:27 am »
Unfortunately yes. What does the GOP truly stand for these days?? They are not united for certain.

I think the GOP is generally united on some big issues. But the more into the details you get, the more differences of opinion you are going to find because nobody is 100% united on everything.  The problem is that with such a tiny margin in the House, we pretty much have to be almost 100% united to get things passed.  And when you're talking about 12 separate appropriations bills having to total at or below a certain number, it's almost impossible to get that much agreement.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 02:02:53 am by Maj. Bill Martin »