Author Topic: AOC suggests Democrats could save McCarthy but 'shouldn't do it for free'  (Read 275 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AOC suggests Democrats could save McCarthy but 'shouldn't do it for free'
by Rachel Schilke, Breaking News Reporter
October 01, 2023 12:46 PM

"Squad" member Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) suggested that House Democrats could bail out House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) if a motion to vacate his speakership comes before the House, but not without a price.

Ocasio-Cortez said on Sunday on CNN's State of the Union that a "real conversation" between Democrats and Republicans would need to take place in order to get the former's support in keeping McCarthy as speaker.

"I don't think we give up votes for free," Ocasio-Cortez said.

Rank-and-file Republicans have floated the idea of ousting McCarthy if he went against their demands or collaborated with House Democrats to pass a clean continuing resolution — which he did.

The House voted 335-91 on Saturday to pass a 45-day continuing resolution that did not include Ukraine funding but did approve disaster relief aid and kept funding at fiscal year 2023 levels. The Senate passed the measure on Saturday night, sending the bill to President Joe Biden's desk to be signed just hours before the government would have shut down.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) said on Sunday that he plans to introduce a motion to vacate this week, in which a majority is needed — ironically requiring the support of House Democrats, as Gaetz would not have the votes from the full Republican caucus to remove McCarthy.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/aoc-suggests-democrats-save-mccarthy-shouldnt-free
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm really getting sick of that little pissant Geatz. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
My guess is that a lot of Democrats might abstain on a Motion to Vacate because they wouldn't want to get blamed for the chaos.  So Gaetz likely will need a lot more than just 5 GOP votes to sink McCarthy.

Online mountaineer

"I don't think we give up votes for free," Ocasio-Cortez said.
I doubt she does anything "for free."

E
@ElijahSchaffer
AOC has been in Congress for 4 years
She was a bartender
Her net worth is now $13,000,000
Damn. It pays to play. The game is rigged. Good for her

5:34 AM · Oct 1, 2023
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org