Author Topic: Army vet at center of burn pits fight wins $2.5 million verdict  (Read 192 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army vet at center of burn pits fight wins $2.5 million verdict
« on: October 02, 2023, 05:58:15 pm »
Army vet at center of burn pits fight wins $2.5 million verdict
By Leo Shane III
 Oct 2, 11:34 AM

An Army Reserve veteran at the center of a Capitol Hill fight over burn pit benefits and a Supreme Court case over veterans employment rights was awarded $2.49 million from a Texas jury last week after a 12-year battle with state police officials.

Le Roy Torres, one of the founders of the advocacy group Burn Pits 360 and a well-known figure in national veterans advocacy efforts, had been arguing in court for the last six years that he was improperly forced out of his job as a Texas state trooper in 2011 after complaining of health problems related to earlier military deployments in Iraq.

Torres served in the Army Reserve and developed severe breathing problems linked to the toxic smoke from burn pits around the bases where he was stationed. Since then, he has been diagnosed with lung disease and toxic brain injuries.

https://www.navytimes.com/veterans/2023/10/02/army-vet-at-center-of-burn-pits-fight-wins-25-million-verdict/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson