Author Topic: Force Design 2030: Transforming to Irrelevance  (Read 291 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Force Design 2030: Transforming to Irrelevance
« on: October 02, 2023, 12:01:19 pm »
November 6, 2022  Topic: Force Design 2030   
Force Design 2030: Transforming to Irrelevance

What advocates of FD 2030 propose will ultimately result in an increasingly irrelevant Marine Corps, not its transformation into a force that is adequately prepared to act and serve in the twenty-first century.

by Michael P. Marletto

As the United States Marine Corps seeks to organize, train, and equip itself for contending with existing and emerging twenty-first-century security challenges, it has become clear that the developers, advocates, and critics of Force Design (FD) 2030 have very different visions of the future global security environment.

The latest FD 2030 proponent to weigh in on the debate is defense analyst Dakota Wood with his article “The U.S. Marine Corps Has a Choice: Transform or Die.” An advocate for the FD 2030 initiatives, Wood argues that the FD 2030’s proposed technological, doctrinal, and organizational changes are necessary for the Marine Corps to maintain its relevance by developing unique capabilities that will differentiate it from the Army and special operations community.

The developers and advocates of FD 2030 are confident that they alone can successfully interpret military theory, history, technological advancements, and the global security environment. Furthermore, in a historical first, they believe they also have the absolute clarity to apply them to a future organization designed to fight and win as part of a joint force against a peer competitor, China, in the geographical confines of their choosing, the South China Sea and First Island Chain. Rather than engage in an open debate on the strengths and weaknesses of the FD 2030, they neither seek nor desire other viewpoints.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/force-design-2030-transforming-irrelevance-205734
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Force Design 2030: Transforming to Irrelevance
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 03:36:35 pm »
This writer is absolutely correct. They're transforming the Marine Corps from a force in readiness that can meet any contingency, to one built for only for low intensity combat.

The country cannot afford to keep a multidivisional, multi-air wing force that is unable to participate in sustained ground combat operations.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 04:25:46 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 03:54:52 pm »
It seems that Commandant Berger's chief aim is to turn the USMC back into the U.S. Navy's fleet security force, pre-World War 1 style.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 04:29:18 pm »
It seems that Commandant Berger's chief aim is to turn the USMC back into the U.S. Navy's fleet security force, pre-World War 1 style.

I understand the argument of limited budgets, but damn, we didn't have all that many tanks anyway.  4 tank battalions in the entire Marine Corps, active and reserve.