Author Topic: F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Faces Mission Readiness Crisis, GAO Warns  (Read 225 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Faces Mission Readiness Crisis, GAO Warns
Peter Suciu / Sep 25, 2023

Days after a United States Marine Corps F-35B crashed in rural South Carolina, a new report from a government watchdog highlighted the ongoing maintenance delays with the fifth-generation aircraft. The Government Accountability Office (GAO) warned that due to a lack of space parts and issues with technical data, as well as inadequate training of maintainers, the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is only “mission capable” 55% of the time – below the 70% mission-capable goal that the United States Air Force has for its F-35As, and the 74% goal for the U.S. Navy’s and U.S. Marine Corps’ F-35B and C variants.

“In the coming decades, the Department of Defense plans to spend an estimated $1.7 trillion on nearly 2,500 F-35s. Most of the funds will go to operating, maintaining, and repairing the aircraft,” the GAO noted.

It further suggested that the Pentagon will face a number of maintenance issues with the Lightning II, including delays in setting up military service depots, the facilities where the most complex repairs are conducted; inadequate equipment to keep the fleet of F-35s operational; and maintenance and supply delays affecting aircraft readiness.

GAO RECOMMENDATIONS
The government watchdog offered a number of recommendations that should be made to address the issues with the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Program.

https://news.clearancejobs.com/2023/09/25/f-35-joint-strike-fighter-faces-mission-readiness-crisis-gao-warns/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Faces Mission Readiness Crisis, GAO Warns
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 05:55:57 pm »
Almost every country in the world wants that plane except Russia, China, and N. Korea.  Is there a hidden message here? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson