Author Topic: WATCH: Ron DeSantis Kills It on Bill Maher, Has the Lib Audience Cheering  (Read 12109 times)

Offline the OlLine Rebel

Re: WATCH: Ron DeSantis Kills It on Bill Maher, Has the Lib Audience Cheering
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2023, 12:01:24 am »
Sure, for rich college guys.  But for poor schmucks who couldn't afford to go to college?  They got sent instead.

DeSantis did this?

Funny how dealing with EverTrumpers has become like dealing with Klintoonistas (and even Klintoon himself).  Keep moving the goalposts.  Clinton:  “he didn’t do that” - “so what, it’s not as bad as xxxx and it’s not important” - “everyone does it”!

I’m seeing the same with Trump.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2023, 12:05:32 am »
@roamer_1

REALLY?  Was that asshat wearing pointy toe cowboy boots that were looking up,or not?

I report, you decide  :laugh:

@sneakypete

Offline LMAO

« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2023, 12:11:41 am »
@Hoodat

Donald Trump is not a "big-government liberal".  His first term ushered in the largest reduction in government regulations,

Not quite.....

The president has actually done more to slow the pace of new regulations, or ease enforcement of current rules, than cut them entirely, according to several experts who track regulation.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/24/trump-claims-about-cutting-regulations-give-dems-2020-election-opening.html

And

Amy Scott: “Assault!” That word tells us a lot. Fifteen-hundred sounds like a pretty big number. Can you break that down for us?

Clark: I will try. It’s actually pretty complicated math. Bloomberg did a great article on this, and let me break it down a little bit. So, only a handful of regulations have actually been taken off the books under the Trump administration. A lot of the things that are included in that 1,500 number involve stopping proposed rules that hadn’t actually made their way onto the books yet. The White House says it has killed or stalled 860 pending regulations. It’s withdrawn 469 and it’s listing another 109 as “inactive” and relegated 282 of them to “long term.” So it’s not as simple as just killing regulations. The Bloomberg News review found hundreds of the regulations that the White House is talking about in this deregulatory tally were pending regulations that had actually been effectively shelved before Trump took office. Part of why there’s not as many that have just been straight up killed is that it actually takes a lot to undo a regulation you have to go through a long process. There’s a notice-and-comment period and discussions, and you need to justify that you have the technical grounds for repealing a rule. So, it can’t just be that you don’t like a rule, and it’s not as easy as just taking out an eraser.

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/01/19/how-many-regulations-has-trump-actually-killed/

And, when it comes to trade

But some of Trump’s executive actions since taking office have added costs, such as emphasizing trade restrictions, anti-dumping, “buy American” agendas, and more.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/waynecrews/2020/06/29/how-donald-trump-has-cut-regulationbut-also-added-it/?sh=404846f630d3

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:56:28 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2023, 12:19:19 am »
.... it was not your question at hand, but rather the utter bullshit presented in the pic foisted on us all by @Right_in_Virginia ... AGAIN.

I  honestly can't believe this "discussion" is still going on and am loathe to belabor it ----  but since you were so gracious in your post to me,  I think it's only fair to ask if you prefer the view of the now infamous boots in this photo @roamer_1

Offline LMAO

« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2023, 12:26:53 am »
And another

"Experts said that Mr. Trump’s efforts to cut through the bureaucracy fall far short of the structural changes made under Ronald Reagan, who abolished entire regulatory agencies and eliminated some economic regulations in the transportation, telecommunications and energy industries. “Nothing Trump has done to date compares to that in terms of impact on Americans,” Ms. Dudley said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/us/politics/trump-says-no-president-has-ever-cut-so-many-regulations-not-quite.html

I think the MAGAs need to research many of Trump's claims a little more before repeating them without question and focus less on Ron Desantis's height or boots. Trump makes alot of wild claims that started with his inaugural crowd size. That's just who Trump is.  It's up to others to verify their veracity and not just repeat them

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 12:41:40 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online Hoodat

« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2023, 12:27:51 am »
@Hoodat

Donald Trump is not a "big-government liberal".  His first term ushered in the largest reduction in government regulations, tax breaks, trade renegotiations ---- all designed to expand the private, not public, economy. 

He imposed tariffs that increased regulation and cost consumers more for the items they purchase.

He wanted two major expenditures during his first  term:  Rebuilding the US Armed Forces --- from scratch ---  everything from bullets to weaponry to implementing technologies for the 21st Century.  He planned on using the Reagan strategy of expanding the economy to address the added debt ---- his secondary reason for his focus on national economic growth referenced above.

In four years of Trump, Defense spending increased 24% while overall spending increased 94%.  Fact.

As for Reagan, Trump criticized Reagan for both his tax cuts and his defense buildup (which you already knew).  So it is plain dishonest for you to make the comparison knowing ahead of time that it was false.

Then came COVID and the CARES Act of 2020.

Which Trump signed off on.

But, before you go all knee-jerk here, remember that few, including the most conservative governor in all of recorded history, stood in clarion opposition to the Act.

A Governor has no voice when it comes to Federal legislation.  But then you knew that already.  So to imply that DeSantis supported passage of the CARES Act is simply dishonest.  But you knew that, too.  Yet did it anyway.

If Republicans/Conservatives had fought the election fraud of 2020

Hold on.  Trump had already increased federal spending by 94% before the 2020 election even got here.  And it is Trump's own Justice Department that should have taken the lead on blocking States from violating their own election laws.  But Trump was simply too incompetent to lead.  His ego took over.  His only answer was to hold more rallies.

And for the record, there were Conservatives in Georgia fighting it.  They were calling out illegalities that were taking place in Georgia months and months before the election.  And Trump did nothing.  Not a damn thing.  Because he didn't give a damn about what Conservatives were saying.  Never has.  But then you knew that already.

Trump would have overseen our  recovery from COVID ---- and it would have been real, swift and lasting.

We didn't need a recovery from Covid.  We needed a recovery from government printing up money to pay people not to work.

But, IMO, for too many fighting the fraud meant saving Trump and somewhere along the line it was decided even Biden was preferable to *that*.

And, here we are.

@DCPatriot

The 'Fight the fraud' strategy was a pathetic legal strategy based solely on the power of Trump's ego.  If Trump had gone after the illegalities instead of seeking some judge to declare him the winner, just because he is Trump, then the electoral process might have been cleaned up.  But Trump didn't give a damn about any of that.  He is a complete idiot when it comes to law, legality, and the Constitution.  And because of that, he is no longer in office as well as a lot of other Republicans who were turned out because of him.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2023, 12:33:51 am »
I  honestly can't believe this "discussion" is still going on and am loathe to belabor it ----  but since you were so gracious in your post to me,  I think it's only fair to ask if you prefer the view of the now infamous boots in this photo @roamer_1

Same damn thing. bullshit. My boots do the same thing.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2023, 12:35:00 am »
I report, you decide  :laugh:

So not only does Ron DeSantis live rent-free in your head, so do his boots.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2023, 12:36:17 am »

:silly:
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline LMAO

« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2023, 12:42:57 am »
Several claims regarding Trump's record made here have been either proven false or greatly exaggerated

That explains his reluctance to debate the other GOP contenders

Barry Goldwater

Online Hoodat

« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2023, 12:47:32 am »
Several claims regarding Trump's record made here have been either proven false or greatly exaggerated

Several claims regarding Trump's record continue to be made here even after they have been proven false.

« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2023, 12:57:16 am »

Neither is true @Hoodat  @deb

But, social media *is* having a LOL good time with both, so they're sometimes tough to miss.   :laugh:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 12:58:07 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2023, 01:01:02 am »

Sure, for rich college guys.  But for poor schmucks who couldn't afford to go to college?  They got sent instead.

Give it a rest. I  had to volunteer to go to VN,and even then had to call a lady at the Pentegram whose name I have temporarily forgotten,in order to go to VN. SF had a waiting list you normally  had to get on.

Her name was Mrs Alexander. Just remembered.

Yes,there WERE people sent to VN that didn't  want to go,but I SUSPECT they were in a minority. After all,at one point the draft had ended,and you had to voluntarily enlist to even get into the army.

DeSantis did this?

He joined the Navy as a lawyer. Same thing as draft-dodging while wearing a uniform. Hell,a lot of people saw that as legalized draft-dodging.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2023, 01:07:33 am »

He joined the Navy as a lawyer. Same thing as draft-dodging while wearing a uniform. Hell,a lot of people saw that as legalized draft-dodging.

You realize DeSantis volunteered when there was no draft to dodge, right?  That he was stationed in Fallujah, and that a ton of nominal non-combatants were killed in Iraq because of IED, shelling, snipers, etc..

Equating a guy who volunteered to serve in a combat aread during a time of war when there was no draft, to a Vietnam War draft dodger is rather...sickening. 

Offline LMAO

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2023, 01:09:50 am »

Equating a guy who volunteered to serve in a combat aread during a time of war when there was no draft, to a Vietnam War draft dodger is rather...sickening.

Especially coming from a poster who served  and sacrificed  in combat honorably

It's incredible the number of people who are willing to suspend their integrity for Trump
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 01:36:08 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online Hoodat

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2023, 01:09:51 am »
Neither is true @Hoodat  @deb

Of course not.  We all know that Trump increasing federal spending by 94% in four years is much more important to you than a pair of boots, right?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2023, 01:11:49 am »
Several claims regarding Trump's record continue to be made here even after they have been proven false.

Except Trump can't do that on a debate stage. That's why he's avoiding one.

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2023, 02:12:49 am »
You realize DeSantis volunteered when there was no draft to dodge, right? 

Big WHOOP. He did that to help his future political career.

That he was stationed in Fallujah, and that a ton of nominal non-combatants were killed in Iraq because of IED, shelling, snipers, etc..

BullBush. Anybody  that tries to compare support troops in the rear who almost never leave their compounds with infantrymen is either a fool,or knows nothing about warfare. He was probably as likely  to get killed in a car accident back home as he was playing at being a soldier for the Navy.

Some people just can't tolerate an unpleasant truth. You just go ahead and worship your "hero" if that is all it takes to impress you.

*I* suspect the truth is you would be no more impressed than I am if it were anyone else. Providing,of course,you  understand what being an infantryman in combat even means.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2023, 02:14:05 am »
Especially coming from a poster who served  and sacrificed  in combat honorably

It's incredible the number of people who are willing to suspend their integrity for Trump

@LMAO

The only people here suspending their integrity is the Do Run Run supporters,and the only reason you support him is because of your hatred and jealousy of Trump.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2023, 02:15:51 am »
Except Trump can't do that on a debate stage. That's why he's avoiding one.

@LMAO

Yeah,that must be why he won't agree to do DeSanctimonious a huge favor by  debating him and giving him standing,huh?

After all,we ALL know how shy Trump is,right?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2023, 02:29:35 am »
@LMAO

The only people here suspending their integrity is the Do Run Run supporters,and the only reason you support him is because of your hatred and jealousy of Trump.

I just never heard the claim made that someone who served in or near a combat zone, even if they didn't engage in actual combat, is more of a "draft dodger" than someone who never served.

I served from 1984-1987. I never saw combat. I guess I'm more of a draft dodger than Trump. Although I suspect If the two individuals in question here were not Trump or RDS your opinion would be different. I don’t believe for one second that you consider somebody who served in the military voluntarily a draft dodger over somebody who didn’t serve at all

A very bizarre claim you've made here

Although I have seen recently here the erroneous claim that frontrunner status in a presidential primary race makes that person the incumbent so there's that
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:43:12 am by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2023, 02:29:55 am »
@LMAO

Yeah,that must be why he won't agree to do DeSanctimonious a huge favor by  debating him and giving him standing,huh?

After all,we ALL know how shy Trump is,right?

You just made my point...thank you

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2023, 03:45:25 am »
BullBush. Anybody  that tries to compare support troops in the rear who almost never leave their compounds with infantrymen is either a fool,or knows nothing about warfare.

A comparison nobody here made

Barry Goldwater

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2023, 05:46:45 am »

@Right_in_Virginia

That makes the toes curl up?

Thanks,I had no idea.
Yeah. Me neither. All of my boots have the toes curl up. I was born with feet so flat they draw suction on a wet, smooth floor. That doesn't bother me, but I drive the arches out of the boots in the breaking-in process, and then they are comfortable. As the boots 'mold' to my size 12s, the toes inevitably curl up slightly.  :shrug:

And no, I don't wear any lifts. At 6' I hit my head on enough stuff in a world designed for shorter people, especially when wearing a hard hat at work.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LMAO

« Reply #149 on: October 02, 2023, 10:35:55 am »

I don’t think they come on this site and repeat lies deliberately. I just think that they hear Donald Trump make these claims and just assume they’re true and repeat them. We’ve seen his supporters make false or highly exaggerated claims about no soldiers being killed while Trump was president, which was provably false. We’ve seen them  make highly exaggerated claim about the strength of Trump’s economy, how many regulations were cut, and deliberately overlooking the real effects of his trade policies

And this is what happens when you insulate yourself in a bubble. Trump has made a lot of these claims himself. If his backers only get their information from his rallies, or his TruthSocial, they have no reason to doubt them.

But then they repeat those wild and crazy claims outside of that bubble, they’re going to be challenged

I’d like to think that after this experience, they at least have a healthy skepticism when it comes to some of the claims that Donald Trump has made and, going forward, will verify them before repeating them

Barry Goldwater