Author Topic: McConnell announces Senate Republicans won’t let bipartisan spending bill advance  (Read 412 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 McConnell announces Senate Republicans won’t let bipartisan spending bill advance
by Al Weaver - 09/30/23 2:07 PM ET

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Senate Republicans will vote against advancing the chamber’s bipartisan stopgap spending bill as members see an emerging bill coming from the House as the main way to avoid a government shutdown.

McConnell told reporters that the House bill, which is a 45-day continuing resolution that includes disaster aid funding but no money for Ukraine, is the preferred option of his members, and that they will overwhelmingly vote against cloture in order to focus on that option.

“I’m fairly confident that most of my members — our members — are going to vote against cloture,” McConnell said. “Not necessarily because they are opposed to the underlying bill. But to see what the House can do on a bipartisan basis, and then bring it over to us.”

“Under these circumstances, I’m recommending a ‘no’ vote,” McConnell continued. “Even though I very much want to avoid a government shutdown.”

DEVELOPING.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4231910-mcconnell-announces-senate-republicans-wont-let-bipartisan-spending-bill-advance/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Do we have 40 out of 49 Republicans who will vote 'No'?  And what about Manchin and Sinema?  Will they vote 'Yes'?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
McConnell backing up the House.

Too bad we didn't pass the Chip Roy bill, because I'd much rather have the backup on that.  Oh well....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 McConnell announces Senate Republicans will defer to House spending bill

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announced Senate Republicans will vote against advancing the chamber’s bipartisan stopgap spending bill as members see an emerging bill coming from the House as the main way to avoid a government shutdown.

McConnell told reporters that the House bill, which is a 45-day continuing resolution that includes disaster aid funding but no money for Ukraine, is the preferred option of his members, and that they will overwhelmingly vote against cloture in order to focus on that option.

Shortly after McConnell’s remarks, that bill passed the House in an overwhelmingly bipartisan 335-91 vote and heads to the Senate.

“I’m fairly confident that most of my members — our members — are going to vote against cloture,” McConnell said. “Not necessarily because they are opposed to the underlying bill. But to see what the House can do on a bipartisan basis, and then bring it over to us.”

“Under these circumstances, I’m recommending a ‘no’ vote,” McConnell continued. “Even though I very much want to avoid a government shutdown.”

Updated at 3:25 p.m.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4231910-mcconnell-announces-senate-republicans-wont-let-bipartisan-spending-bill-advance/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

McConnell announces Senate Republicans will defer to House spending bill

Shortly after McConnell’s remarks, that bill passed the House in an overwhelmingly bipartisan 335-91 vote and heads to the Senate.

Updated at 3:25 p.m.

So the focus is no money for Ukraine???    :thud:  Nothing about border security. ****slapping 22222frying pan
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
So the focus is no money for Ukraine???    :thud:  Nothing about border security. ****slapping 22222frying pan

Well, there was a 30 day continuing resolution that had 8% cuts to everything, plus border security, that was put together by Chip Roy, Chair of the Freedom Caucus Policy Committee, Speaker McCarthy, and representatives of the moderate "Problem Solvers Caucus".  It was a much better bill than this one, and they all agreed to support it as a compromise.

However, some of the hardliners voted against that bill, so it died.  And they promised to vote against any continuing resolution, even a temporary one like the Roy bill that had cuts and border security.

Because the hardliners refuse to support any continuing resolution, that meant avoiding a shutdown required Democrat support.  To get that, they had to strip out the cuts and border security to get some Democrat support.  So what the hardliners achieved in the end was a much worse bill.  And it's been obvious for weeks that's what would happen if they went down this path.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 09:56:35 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Hoodat

Well, there was a 30 day continuing resolution that had 8% cuts to everything, plus border security, that was put together by Chip Roy, Chair of the Freedom Caucus Policy Committee, Speaker McCarthy, and representatives of the moderate "Problem Solvers Caucus".  It was a much better bill than this one, and they all agreed to support it as a compromise.

However, some of the hardliners voted against that bill, so it died.  And they promised to vote against any continuing resolution, even a temporary one like the Roy bill that had cuts and border security.

That is unfortunate.  And not at all practical.  Why the hell can't Republicans do what they said they would do in January?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-