Author Topic: What will it take to fix so many lousy barracks? lawmakers ask  (Read 230 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What will it take to fix so many lousy barracks? lawmakers ask
« on: September 28, 2023, 11:56:39 am »
What will it take to fix so many lousy barracks? lawmakers ask
By Karen Jowers
 Sep 27, 07:40 PM

Service members have told government auditors about rampant problems in their barracks — to include mold, broken heating and air conditioning systems, cramped rooms, overflowing sewage and much more — but not all service branches are asking troops about those living conditions.

“Service members have a lot to say and are eager for someone to listen,” said Elizabeth Field, director of the Government Accountability Office’s defense capabilities and management team.

“It will take years to address the chronic neglect and underfunding we uncovered,” she told members of the House Armed Services Committee’s quality of life panel Wednesday,

After listening to Field’s testimony, lawmakers said they want to know why some troops are living in such poor conditions, how much funding is needed to fix the problem, and how to ensure better oversight and accountability.

The recent GAO audit of 10 military barracks revealed that DoD has neither adequate information about the condition of barracks nor a complete understanding of how the poor conditions affect morale.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2023/09/27/what-will-it-take-to-fix-so-many-lousy-barracks-lawmakers-ask/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: What will it take to fix so many lousy barracks? lawmakers ask
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 11:57:51 am »
Leadership that truly cares about the enlisted people, something the great Gen. Milley didn't. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson