Author Topic: New Zealand Farmers Fed Up with Extreme Climate Policies  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Zealand Farmers Fed Up with Extreme Climate Policies
« on: September 28, 2023, 10:47:22 am »
New Zealand Farmers Fed Up with Extreme Climate Policies
14 hours ago Eric Worrall 51 Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

Reuters is predicting the possible election of a right wing government on a platform of repealing climate policies which are devastating the countryside.

New Zealand farmers set for right-wing protest vote over climate change policies

By Lucy Craymer
September 27, 20234:49 PM GMT+10 Updated 13 hours ago

WELLINGTON, Sept 27 (Reuters) – Rural voter anger at New Zealand’s environmental policies to tackle climate change and reduce carbon emissions may contribute to a return of right-wing parties to power at an Oct. 14 election, a shift that could diminish the country’s green image.

A flirtation with the New Zealand Labour Party in the 2020 election by rural voters, some for the first time in decades, has ended due to environmental policies such as planting pine forests on grazing land and taxing livestock methane burps.

Warning that livelihoods are at stake, farmers are looking to conservative candidates who will unwind or delay these Labour policies.

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/new-zealand-farmers-set-right-wing-protest-vote-over-climate-change-policies-2023-09-27/

I wouldn’t get too excited. What passes for right wing in New Zealand is politically equivalent to a party of moderate democrats in the USA. The new party will possibly even support Net Zero, just at a slower pace.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/09/27/new-zealand-farmers-fed-up-with-extreme-climate-policies/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson