Author Topic: Senate votes to advance short-term funding bill to avoid government shutdown  (Read 386 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Senate votes to advance short-term funding bill to avoid government shutdown
by Alexander Bolton - 09/26/23 6:24 PM ET

The Senate voted Tuesday to advance a short-term funding measure to avoid a government shutdown at the end of the week.

The Senate voted 77 to 19 to advance the legislative vehicle they will use for a continuing resolution funding government until Nov. 17.

The vote puts the Senate on a path to pass a continuing resolution (CR) later this week that it could then send to the House to avoid a shutdown on Oct. 1.

The House has been stuck on how to move forward with funding the government amid disputes among Republicans in the majority.

If the Senate does approve a CR, it could put pressure on the House to bring it to the floor and avoid a shutdown, particularly in the lower chamber has not made much progress on its own.

The Senate legislation will fund the federal government until Nov. 17, the week before Thanksgiving, and provide approximately $6.15 billion in funding for Ukraine and $5.99 billion in disaster assistance. 

The legislation will also temporarily extend the expiring authority of the Federal Aviation Administration. 

Senate leaders kept the details of the legislation secret until shortly before Tuesday’s vote as lawmakers wrestled behind the scenes over adding money for Ukraine

The vote shows that Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) are largely on the same page in wanting to avoid a shutdown that would suspend a litany of government services and furlough of thousands of government workers.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4224493-senate-votes-to-advance-short-term-funding-bill-to-avoid-government-shutdown/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Heh.
You KNEW they were going to do this.
Didn't you...?

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Heh.
Didn't you...?

Chuckie and the Turtle on the same page, who would've guessed?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Heh.
Didn't you...?

Of course.  And unless the House manages to pass a CR of its own, the Senate version is what we're going to get.

Offline bilo

The Senate voted 77 to 19 to advance the legislative vehicle they will use for a continuing resolution funding government until Nov. 17.

For those that aren't familiar with negotiating contracts, this is how you lose. The Pub Establishment Loyalists fall in line with their Rat Establishment Loyalists everytime.

The House America First Patriots are right. The only way to begin to get control of spending and to start to eliminate the woke garbage is to require  members vote for it, instead of hiding it in omnibus bills. All the Pubs in the Senate had to do was back the Pub conference in the House and take the position, "lets see what they pass and try to work with them". Instead they have made it that much tougher to get back to passing individual appropriation bills.

I'm still hopping Gaetz and his supporters can prevail. If not I see no reason to support Republicans running for the House or Senate unless they are in the group fighting to save the Republic. It won't be surprising to me if overall turn out for the Pubs is less than hoped for in the next election.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

Of course.  And unless the House manages to pass a CR of its own, the Senate version is what we're going to get.

Spoken like a true Establishment Loyalist.

The battle hasn't been lost. Any CR is going to be the path to defeat. It's passing appropriation bills that is the key to real reform.

I think Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party don't understand polling doesn't mean a thing. Americans that want to save the Republic want fighters. What the Pub party is doing again is showing they can talk a good game, but they won't perform when it counts. Don't be surprised if turnout in 24 under performs, this will pretty much guarantee it.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home