Author Topic: “Climate Change killed my family” – or Was it the Badly Managed Local Dams?  (Read 154 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
“Climate Change killed my family” – or Was it the Badly Managed Local Dams?
24 mins ago Eric Worrall No Comments
Essay by Eric Worrall

My heart goes out to Om Prakash, who lost his family in a landslide disaster earlier this year. But it wasn’t climate change which killed his family.

‘Climate change killed my family’: Unusual monsoon hammers India’s Himachal

Record-breaking torrential rain leaves a trail of unprecedented devastation in northern India’s Himachal Pradesh state.

By Srishti Jaswal
Published On 25 Sep 202325 Sep 2023

“It was raining intensely. Around 4am I heard a deafening crash. Just behind the house, the entire hill collapsed and unleashed a torrent of water and mud that destroyed everything. I survived, but my daughter, wife and my mother died in their sleep,” Prakash said.

“Due to global warming, the monsoon winds now carry more moisture from the sea along with dust and pollution from the plains. Himachal’s bowl-like topography captures those moisture-laden clouds. This leads to excess monsoon rainfall in less periods. The result is flooding,” Shukla explained.

Stopping the flow of rivers by dams in Himachal Pradesh has led to severe riverine disturbances, said Manshi Asher, co-founder of the environmental group Himdhara.

“When the water increases beyond the holding capacity of the dam, they open the floodgates without warning. The impact is visible in the form of landslides and floods,” she said.

The lack of comprehensive data on the environment in the region has also made the situation more dangerous.

Read more: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/25/climate-change-killed-my-family-unusual-monsoon-hammers-indias-himachal

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/09/26/climate-change-killed-my-family-or-was-it-the-badly-managed-local-dams/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson